porch door lintel question

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by eden.eden, Jun 22, 2016.

1. eden.eden

eden.eden New Member

Fitters arrived today to fit a new composite front door in my concrete block porch but couldn't go ahead as the wood lintel which I'd been assured by the long-retired builder (was built 17 years ago) was definitely there, actually wasn't. I now have to get one fitted before the door can go in, I'm told it's building regs now. I've contacted a builder who is talking about the need to put pad stones in making it a dear job on top of door cost. Is this strictly necessary? Fitters said lintel could be wood. I want to be clear what I need before I approach any others for quotes. Advice appreciated.
    porch lintel 2jpg.jpg

2. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

When I had some windows fitted, the fitters did quote for getting a lintel installed.

If you go the building control route than it could cost you around £120 for a building regs application.

Is the porch cavity construction (i.e with a gap between the concrete block work and inner wall)? I'm trying to figure out how the inner wall is supported.

3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

When the co did the survey for the door, did they not notice that a lintel was not fitted?

4. eden.eden

eden.eden New Member

I don't think I have to get the building regs as such, they just said it had to conform to by having a lintel or they can't install. Not a cavity wall, just an addition to main house. Not sure on construction, I just remember a concert slab and concrete blocks.

Surveyor asked the question about the lintel, the man who built it lives near me (long retired) and came and discussed it in person with the surveyor and said he had put in a wood lintel.

5. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I dont think there's going to be an easy way to add the lintel due to blocks.

The block work above the door may have to be complete removed, then appropriate lintel fitted, cavity or solid wall depending on construction.

The left bearing would only likely to achieve a min 100mm bearing, pad stones aren't essential, and there isn't too much in the way of load.

Looking at the pic, it only looks like one block wide (i.e 100mm + render). If so a concrete lintel would be suitable, one the work side a stainless steel bead,to shed the water off (galvanized would eventually rust and rust stains will show through over time), also a cement soffit board to go under the course of plain roof tiles.

Planning portal says a porch is normally exempt from building regulations for this size.

6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

May have to drill to test what the are in red is made from, be just be a wooden post rendered over?

Also some window and door manufactures can make structural one using steel withing the frame for strength.

porch.jpg

7. eden.eden

eden.eden New Member

Thank you for your help Jitender. I've managed to find someone to do the job at a reasonable rate :)

8. yendorwoltum

yendorwoltum New Member

you should be ok as you ain't got much load above.but ideally you should always have a lintel above a door or window

9. Scottchristie

Scottchristie New Member

Depends on loading. You should always have a lintle but I'm not sure pad stones are really necessary. Overkill probably.