Positioning of Bathroom Extractor Fan

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Guernsey Boy, May 25, 2006.

1. Guernsey Boy

Guernsey Boy New Member

I am going to install a Vent-Axia Eclispe 100XT extractor fan in my bathroom, through the wall. It is 220-240v, however they say it is IPX4 rated, even though i would have thought it would have had to have been 12V, in order to meet this spec. I have got two positions that i can install it, on the furthest wall away from the door (2 metres only a small room). One position is above the bath at the opposite end from the shower, or the other position is in the opposite corner of the room about 1.5 metres from the bath. Would either of these positions be better then the other, or would it work just as well in any of them.

2. steve CF

steve CF New Member

a mains operated fan can only be located in zone 1 if unable to be located elsewhere and must be protected by a 30mA RCD.

you can mount it in zones 2 or 3

3. Guernsey Boy

Guernsey Boy New Member

I think i will position in the corner of the room opposite to the bath. But i am suprised that it is IPX4 rated (supposedly able to go into zone 1) if it 220-240V.

Going back to my first post will it work just as well being away from the bath/shower (about 1.8M).

4. steve CF

steve CF New Member

It will work anywhere just as well, point is there are certain areas where you are not allowed to mount it.

5. markysparky

markysparky New Member

Fans work best adjacent to the air flow intake. (opposite the doorway). If SELV fan is required then best to get one in need be.

6. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Evening marky, you've been quite lately?

7. markysparky

markysparky New Member

8. jumboscruit

jumboscruit New Member

I have been asked to install an 230V extractor fan in a wall above a bath, probably in zone one (up to 2.25metres above floor) and have been trying to find out if it has to be RCD protected, can't find any guidance in the OSG, but in the IEE book, "Elecricians Guide to the Building Regs", it says, on P62, that you can install a suitable 230v extractor (IPX4) in zone 1 & 2 as well as zone 3, and it can be connected to the lighting circuit, via a 3-pole isolator switch, (which should be outside zones 0 1 & 2). It does not mention anything about RCD protection being needed too. It's unlikely that the fan can be mounted in zone 2, as the ceiling is not high enough.

Perhaps somebody out there can tell me which reg., if any, in the 16th.Ed.that says that RCD protection is needed in this instance. The fan will be a timer model, and will be fully automatic,so shouldn't need to be touched by anyone using the bath or shower. Would it be better to go for a low-voltage unit?

Thanks.

9. jumboscruit

jumboscruit New Member

Just been going through my 16th. Ed. Does 601-09-02 answer my question re. RCD protection?