Possible leak under floor?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by RichGK, May 28, 2015.

1. RichGK

RichGK New Member

I came back today to find the water heating running and went inside expecting to find a tap on but everything was switched off. I checked all the pipes to find out where the heat was and none of the bath, shower, sink, kitchen sink pipes were hot.

In our house the cold water goes upstairs and then down to the combi-boiler which is in the porch. Then the hot pipe goes back upstairs to the bathroom before splitting off and then going down to the kitchen. In the kitchen it goes into a tiled concrete floor and then up under the sink.

The feed into the kitchen floor is hot and the pipe coming up into the sink is cold. This points towards a leak in the floor but the strange thing is the water stopped running while I was watching it and didn't start again for about half and hour and then stopped again. This seems to be the behavior over and over and is very confusing.

Has anyone seen anything like this?

2. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

If this is the problem, the only way to fix is re-run the hot pipe or possibly repair if you can find the leak. You could dig up the floor but if it is all nicely tiled and finished then maybe you'll need to find another route for the hot pipe.

RichGK and Dave does Gas like this.
  3. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Without a doubt the best solution

RichGK likes this.
  4. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

I had this in a property, dug around leak and patched, few months later leaked about a metre from patch. This was in downstairs bathroom and as feed to kitchen was also in concrete floor and the property was going up for rent in the future, didn't want to take the risk of it leaking again. Re-route!!

RichGK likes this.
  5. RichGK

RichGK New Member

Thanks very much for the replies. I have ordered some new pipe and am going to re-route. Luckily the units will hide the new pipe and the only unsightly bit will be the hole I'm going to cut into the back of one of the cupboards!

Thanks again very much appreciated!