possible loft conversion

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by sturobly, Aug 2, 2017.

1. sturobly

sturobly Member

I'm considering having my loft converted.
    The roof has quite a high pitch.
    Part of the roof sticks out from the main roof - it sort of looks like a huge dormer window - but it's not really accessible when you are in the loft because there are lots of beams or trusses in it.
    I'd just like some thoughts on the following things.

I assume that the ties (beams?) in the main part of the loft can be raised above head height - but I assume they would have to stay (i.e. the ceiling would not go all the way to the top of the pitch)?

I'm guessing that the 'dormer' part of the loft would not be usable as part of the conversion?

Thanks for any help

Attached Files:

wartonwoodworks likes this.
  2. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Anything is possible pretty much, depends how much money you are prepared to through at it.

The horizontal and vertical braces/supports can be moved, a structural architect type chappy should be used to come up with the design and of course involved your local Building Control. The dormer might be usable too, again depending on how deep your pockets are. If money is no object, the entire roof can be replaced and opened up.

What kind of budget do you have?

KIAB likes this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Got good headroom which makes thing easier,& plenty of usable space with the high pitch,plus that dormer is usable, seen them used as a walked in wardrobe,as you don't need so much headroom, as in the main room.

Hardest thing is deciding where there staircase will come up, to make best use of the space availble, seen loft conversions ruined by a badly sited staircase.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  4. sturobly

sturobly Member

Hmm, good question. Someone said they had their loft done for around £10 000 - (that was en suite I think, though I don't know if that was just a loo or a shower as well). For that amount of money, I don't think we'd be looking at any major structural changes.

5. sturobly

sturobly Member

Do you think using the dormer, even as a walk-in wardrobe, would involve a lot of complications?
    I appreciate that without seeing the loft it might not be too easy to say, but I'm just looking for some initial thoughts.

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Well tie beams in dormer must be pretty much spot on for headroom,looking at third photo,that boarding makes it difficult to get a accurate view of space, would need to remove one or two rafters for full access to space.

If space is tight, then you could possibly use dormer just as a large wardrobe/cupboard/storage area.

Post another photo of dormer area with that sheet material removed from rafters.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  7. sturobly

sturobly Member

Thanks, will try to get up later and take some other photos.
    So, regarding the dormer part (it would be nice to be able to use that as there is a small window in it already) -you could take out a couple of the rafters next to it (how safe would this be, and would you need to reinforce/compensate in some other ways) and perhaps by raising the ties in the dormer part?
    You can see from the angle of the boarding, which leans against some small rafters (I assume they are there for extra support) - do you know if they would have to stay as they are or would it be possible in theory to shorten them/lessen the angle and so free up more floor space?
    Thanks for your help.

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Would depend on build of the roof, without being there it's difficullt to be 100% accurate, but with some thought & budget most things are possible.

9. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

A loft for £10k?????? I don't think so.

You have a curious construction with those short sloped timbers running up to the rafter in the 2nd pic. Is the roof trussed?

You need to get someone up there who knows what they are doing to do a design for you and then someone who knows what they are doing to do the work.

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Start at 20k & work up.:eek:

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

And a loft conversion could add up to around 20% to the value of your house.:)

12. sturobly

sturobly Member

Hmm, the actual price mentioned was 11k. I've no reason to suppose the person is not telling it straight. I wonder if it depends on which part of the country you are in? Out of interest, what would you reckon to pay in your part of the country for a kitchen (5m x4m) that involved the following work: removal of concrete larder and concrete interior wall; complete plaster/skim; some levelling of floor and plywood subfloor topped with laminate flooring and underlay; some electrical work (bit of rewiring and extra sockets); new back door; fairly basic but good-quality kitchen installed?

13. sturobly

sturobly Member

I'm not entirely sure what a trussed roof is, but I've had a look online. My roof/loft was, I'm pretty sure, built in site. The image if the trussed roof seems to have rafters taking up the whole space if the loft - mine isn't like that, it has a fair bit of space in the middle.

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You have a 'cut roof' & not a trussed roof.

Linky will explain better below.

http://www.diydata.com/general_building/roof_construction/roof_construction.php

sturobly likes this.
  15. sturobly

sturobly Member

16. SWBUILDERS

SWBUILDERS Active Member

[Q)?
    your fees to building control, structural engineer and architect will be £2500 before you even think about starting

17. Rob_bv

Rob_bv Active Member

I have seen many "cheap loft conversions"; usually no structural design or involvement of Building Control, and even several that have had the flooring laid straight onto ceiling joists.

My suggestion, if you are serious about the conversion, is to speak to a couple of architects and see if they would prepare some preliminary drawings (for a fee of course) that you can use to gather rough quotes from builders; once you have rough quotes you can then decide whether to proceed towards full drawings with building / planning control application. Once you have full drawings and approval, you can approach the original quotees (or anyone you like) for a revised fixed price.

KIAB likes this.
  18. sturobly

sturobly Member

Ok, then from what you're saying, it must have been an 'unofficial' conversion!

19. sturobly

sturobly Member

I think what I'm looking at then, is not a full loft conversion, but ending up with a useable room but without significant structural changes: velux windows, lighting, sockets, and so on. The 'only' changes would be closing the existing hatch and cutting a new one at the end of the loft (this would be above a large existing landing cupboard) and raising the ties (collars?) to give more headroom.

20. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

Raise the ties???????????????? This is a significant structural change!! Good luck explaining to SWMBO and your insurance why your roof is sagging.