Post grouting - any treatment required

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by TheCrow, Apr 20, 2016.

1. TheCrow

TheCrow New Member

Evening All,

Hope all is well...I completed the grouting of my newly tiled bathroom wall at the weekend using Ardex FS - I heard this was avery good grout to use - and I have wondering if there's anything that the grout needs treating with afterwards before using the shower again.

I've heard mixed stories about using special sealant or using a silicone based car wax on newly treated grout, but I just wondered what the experts think. I wouldn't want to to use anything that would discolour as the grout as it is brilliant white.

Anyway thanks for taking the time to read

Cheers

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

AFAIK grout is all you need.

3. That looks like a good 'cement-based' grout - it sets chemically.

I've never heard of the add-on finishes you've mentioned, and suspect the only thing it could do was discolour the grout slightly.

I used a similar grout for my own tiles (I think it was a SF product) around 10 years ago, and it's still in very good condition. There are some areas of discolouration, but that's unavoidable in a shower that's used regularly.

A good scrub - and sometimes the addition of bleach or similar - does the job on stubborn stains - but that was only needed after many years.

4. TheCrow

TheCrow New Member

Ok guys, many thanks for taking the time to respond. I think I'll leave as is then. I assume all grouts discolour a little over time, especially that we live in a very hard water area, but I wouldn't want to exacerbate that by applying something that would prematurely discolour. Thanks again.

5. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Hmm, there's a strange smell, a mixture of spiced pork and ham, I wonder what it could be...