Post hole digging tools?

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by Monkey Chops, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

I need to dig around 15 new holes for concrete posts. I also need to dig out about the same and so I need to buy some gear to do it with. I've been looking on youtube for ideas but not seen much apart from a post digger with two poles on it that doesn't seem too efficient.

For the digging of the holes, am I better of with a narrow tapering spade? The earth is dense and soild with bricks, rocks and coal as well as clay in places

And for removing the old posts, is there a recommended way to go about it or just dig a big hole round them and push them over?

Thanks once again :)

2. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

A narrow spade will get you only so deep, the post digger you mention with two poles on it is what you need. The volume top be removed isn't the issue, its getting at it, loosening it up and removing it vertically that's going to be the issue.

Monkey Chops likes this.
  3. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I would go for a hand auger and a digging bar. The auger works well if there aren't too many large stones it will cope with anything smaller than 1/2 brick and the digging bar will chop through clay with ease - much easier than the two handled ones.

upload_2017-4-4_12-42-34.png upload_2017-4-4_12-43-56.png

Monkey Chops likes this.
  4. P. Gee

P. Gee Active Member

I would usually leave the old posts at ground level and start with say a three quarter panel so you can dig all new holes. The idea is to remove as little soil as possible around the new hole.

Monkey Chops likes this.
  5. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

The item you refer to are called "Spoons" they are just used for removing the loose soil etc.
    You need a "Grafter" the loosen up the soil first.

Monkey Chops likes this.
  6. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

hard to find these days, most shops have "lazy *****" , but you need about 5 to get the job done

Monkey Chops likes this.
  7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Hire sds breaker with clay spade, quick & easy to make square holes.

upload_2017-4-4_14-8-26.jpeg

SteveMJ and Monkey Chops like this.
  8. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Do they work well? Worth the investment?

Monkey Chops likes this.
  9. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Yes if you have shale / heavy clay

Joe95 and Monkey Chops like this.
  10. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

Wow, thanks for all the info, much appreciated!

So it looks like maybe £70 quids worth of tools for the roughneck diggers and about the same for the SDS clay spade, or hire one as suggested. I have the Titan SDS from screwfix, would that be up to the job?

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

This is only a tiddly breaker, dug out quite a few holes & trenches with a bigger electric & hydraulic breakers & clay spade.

Joe95 and Monkey Chops like this.
  12. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

Thanks!

Ahh, so I could use the titan then with a longer clay spade bit on it?

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Yes, sure if they do sds plus version, If your Titan is sds max then there plenty of choice.

Can't see any thing listed for sds plus, it's all sds max or hex shaft for clay spades.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
    Monkey Chops likes this.
  14. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

And also, would the titan be good for breaking up the foundations of the old fenceposts?

15. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

I think it's SDS plus, I'll check and see what I can hire, cheers for that :)

16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Yes, with a bull point.

Monkey Chops likes this.
  17. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

OK thanks again, it came with one of those, so that's that sorted :)

18. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

If you are breaking up old fence post foundations - a pair of safety specs, the stuff can fly around like bullets when it is chipped at

Monkey Chops likes this.
  19. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

Cheers, yep got some :)

20. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

The Titan breaker - the big one - is a hex shank breaker. SDS bits wont fit in it.

Monkey Chops likes this.