potential loose fill asbestos insulation?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by ruebeb2288, Nov 25, 2015.

1. ruebeb2288

ruebeb2288 New Member

Hi all
    is anyone able to advise me whether this could be loose fill asbestos insulation I have uncovered in an attic?
    I have never come across the product before so am unsure myself
    many thanks in advance
    bob

Attached Files:

2. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

Looks like vermiculite but Get a few samples taken and presume it is asbestos until proved otherwise which means keeping the area out of bounds until proved safe to reoccupy.

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Agree.

Definitely get it tested, as some vermiculite insulations DID contain asbestos fibres.

4. Danny James

Danny James New Member

I have had a similar problem, having been up into the loft of my new house there is a material that I dont recognise although the feel is very much like polystrene. Its loose fill but rather than being like individual balls of polystyrene, they are bonded in small clumps. Presmably this isnt anything to fear? I have no idea what asbestos woul be like?

5. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Danny James, Vermiculite is similar in weight and feel to polystyrene.
    This is fairly typical. https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vermiculite
    Have a look in a garden centre they often sell it for potting to see how it looks.

rubbeb2288, As said even if it is not asbestos and in fact vermiculite some older supplies did contain some asbestos, mainly because it is mined from the same type of rock as asbestos and some companies used to produce both products so cross contamination was possible. A bit like food factories these days that have to mark their products "may contain nuts" as cross contamination is possible.

The advise given already is spot on it is best to get it tested first to see it is vermiculite not asbestos and to be aware if in deed vermiculite whether it does contain any traces of asbestos.