Potential wasp nest

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by bond007, May 16, 2017.

1. bond007

bond007 Well-Known Member

Guys

Just stumbled across a potential wasp hive going from the entrance shown in the picture.
    Seems like the overflow pipe hole, but I can't remember there been a pipe or not. Recently moved in so it's at the side of the house and never really go there.

Should there be a overflow pipe? If there isn't, will it cause a problem?

Also do I just cover the hole or get it seen to be pest control?

I've got up in the loft and no visible signs of a hive so I'm guessing it will be in the cavity walls.

tmp_31799-20170516_203743_001234032806.jpg tmp_31799-20170516_2037071233676081.jpg

2. You can get a wasp killer spray - it fires a long jet of foam. If you are brave, you could try and squirt it in that hole - but be ready to run...

Then block it with sealant or mortar.

Your toilet will likely have a built-in overflow - it should appear as a trickle coming down the inside of the pan. If you have any concerns, lift the cistern lid and take a photo to post on here.

3. bond007

2017-05-16 20.59.13.jpg Thats the top open and the soil pipe next on the corner

Last edited: May 16, 2017
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  5. DON'T KILL BOOOOTIFUL BEEEEES!

KIAB likes this.
  6. bond007

Well I've seem the wasp going in and out.... So how can I tell the difference between the 2

7. One stings and flies away, and the other stings and - wait, I see a flaw in that test.

Ok, ask your neighbour round and...

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

A wasp nest only last one season,queen dies, workers move on.

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Masonry bees can sting, not so bad as a wasp sting.:eek:

10. One is vague and fluttery and chust looks like wee barstewards, and the others are small and rounderer and cuter.

Jesus - you don't know the difference? :rolleyes:

Look - just ask it how it voted - if it's 'Leave' it's a b******ing wasp.

Joe95 and KIAB like this.
  11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

upload_2017-5-16_21-52-2.jpeg

12. Yeah - so sit a chair on that path and get a good book.

13. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

A wasp's abdomen is black and yellow stripes and smooth whilst a bee has less well defined stripes, the abdomen is generally slightly furry and not so much black and yellow as off black and dark yellow. That is a very general distinction. The wasp's abdomen tends to be more pointy at the stingy end as well. If it's larger than normal with black and brown stripes that's probably a hornet.

14. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Pump a load of wasp powder into a plastic bottle and screw it into the hole. See what you catch.

15. bond007

So was the hole already there for the overflow pipe or has it been made by the wasp/Bees?

16. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

17. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Glad I saw that before it gets pulled, Doctor :D

KIAB and Dr Bodgit like this.
  18. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Sf Peters gonna be p****d with you:rolleyes:

Dr Bodgit and KIAB like this.
  19. bond007

tmp_412-20170603_1749102012356985.jpg Guys I zoomed into the pic, anyone tell me which bee this maybe?

It's come inside the house now so if it continues will have to get pest control to remove them.

20. KIAB

KIAB Super Member