Potterton Suprima 30L - Screeching noise on start from cold

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by goodtyneguy, Jan 4, 2014.

1. goodtyneguy

goodtyneguy Member

First of all, happy new year to all.

Boiler was fitted new in Feb 2002, had the PCB replaced with a reconditioned one in 2010 after experiencing the infamous problems as many irate owners will be aware of and as well documented on the internet elsewhere. It has been working fine since then but has developed a screeching noise when starting from cold. It does not sound like a water type noise i.e. knocking or hissing and it is definitely coming from inside the boiler housing and not from the water pump which is located nearby. I sense trouble is nigh.

Having looked at the installation and service instructions I would hazard a guess it's the fan. It sounds like a moving surface scraping along a fixed surface or the noise a damaged bearing would make.

Anyone experienced something the same or similar and if so what was the solution and roughly how much did it cost to remedy?

Thank you kind sirs/madams in anticipation of your help

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  2. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

I had a similar problem with an aged Potterton Puma (even older) I greased the bearings in the fan and kept it going for a couple of years before the boiler was replaced. WD40 worked , but only for a short while as WD40 does dry out. so a good lubricating grease seems the way to go. (summat that will withstand a highish temperature) ;););)