Potterton Suprima 50 - red light flashing...

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by split load, Nov 16, 2006.

1. split load

split load New Member

Just been to a customer for an electrical issue, they asked if I knew any thing about boiler, I don't so I was hoping one of you guys could assist...

They say that the red light occassionally flashes, they reset the boiler everything ok for a couple of days then red light flashing again...

What causes the red light to flash anyway?
    1. low water pressure?
    2. poor gas supply?
    3. Faulty PCB, bad connections?
    4. A safety issue?

????

2. Dreadnaught Heating

Dreadnaught Heating New Member

Try a new 'Overheat Thermostat' kit (about £11 from 'Time&Temperature') for this model, have had a result with a four year old 40L, so might just work with your customers. (change the other thermostat while you're at it, about a tenner) no drain down required, just elecrical spade connectors and they screw out/in.

The symptoms were identical, if its not that component, then its a complete PCB 'chassis' I'm afraid (about £170).

BTW, the 40L was just a regular wall hung boiler, not a system type, Combi, condensing or anything...........

Hope this helps, Patrick

3. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

The Suprima is a 'Lulu', one of the biggest loads of rubbish Potterton ever made, and believe me they have made some load of c.ap. Have a look at other web sites they are full of guys who have had major problems with them. One big problem is HT stat tripping.

4. H.2.O

H.2.O New Member

5. Dreadnaught Heating

Dreadnaught Heating New Member

The symptoms were identical, if its not that
    component, then its a complete PCB 'chassis' I'm
    afraid (about £170).

Downer........... Punter rang this morning to say its started again, I offered to pop in another highlimit stat FOC, not he was not too happy about my other suggestion to fit a new PCB chassis, about £230.

How do other Boiler Engineers 'guarantee' their work/replacement parts?

Do you put a disclaimer in about changing one part at a time?

Patrick