Powder coating.

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by vivaro man, Dec 24, 2013.

1. vivaro man

vivaro man Active Member

Now then painters, a question from an old joiner. I'm needing to coat up some steel posts and frames for a pair of gates that are going to be clad in wood. In the past I have used undercoat and/or hammerite but I wonder if powder coating would be a better and classier alternative?
    Can anyone give me any guidance on price, availability in East Yorkshire/North of England area and whether I'm wasting my time. Will the outcome justify the expense. One factor is that the steelwork will be exposed to quite a harsh maritime environment, salt and steel don't mix.
    Any advice/thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

2. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

forget powder coating, its too delicate, have the steelwork heavily galvanised

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

It also cracks and allows water through rusting the steelwork, with ork on this!

4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

If you've had success with Hammerite before, I would stick to it.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

5. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

Galvanising every time.

6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I don't know what galvanising entails. Won't that need painting still?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

7. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Galvanising, is done by dipping a steel item into a bath of molten zinc (hot dip galvanising) , or by electro plating, whereby a thinner coat of zinc is applied. Both, ideally, still need a further protective coat of paint.

8. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

a galvanised item doesn't need to be further protected by a paint finish - however an additional paint finish is often added for visual effect

malkie129 likes this.
  9. Ray Retired

Ray Retired Active Member

10. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

malkie129 likes this.
  11. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

Sean is right...Just take his advice :) Sorry, just seen a snag. If these items have been painted, then they will need to be shot blasted first before they can be galvanised. This job is getting pricey, but if you want them to last, it's the only way. :-( I live near the sea & have galvanised gate & hand rail.....No probs !

12. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

most galvanisers have a chemical dip stripper that's designed to strip and clean immediately prior to the galv dip, nasty process but very quick and sometimes a bit of an eye opener if it's a chassis that's being striped/galv'ed

13. gateman

gateman New Member

in coastal areas I always recommend galvanized no matter what anyones says paint or powdercoat will allow the salt to get to it
    if its just one post it wont cost a great deal to have it hot dipped

also in response to above yes they do have a chemical dip but as far as i know this is just to remove oil and dirt not paint they will need blasting first maybe cheaper to get a new post as blasters around here charge anywhere upto £50 an hour

the gate maker