Powdery cement grout on patio pavers?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by SteveMJ, Jul 31, 2014.

1. SteveMJ

SteveMJ Active Member

Hi, a simple question I believe?

Last weekend I laid the last pavers on a patio, the following day I grouted 3:1, builders sand and cement. This was thoroughly mixed and applied dry, the whole lot was sprayed with a fine mist form a garden sprayer to not dislodge the grout. it rained over night, so I think the grout was wetted from spraying and there would have been moisture from the mortar the pavers sat on. For half a day the whole are was covered to minimise rapid drying in the hot sun.

Now, a few days later the grout is dry but the surface seems powdery.

What did I do sub-optimally (i.e. wrong!!) and what is there that can be done to 'harden' it up?

Thanks, Steve

2. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

That darned Tommy Walsh!!!!!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

3. vivaro man

vivaro man Active Member

Steve, rake it out and start again. Put the water in first and then sweep the dry mix in. The water will rise up through the dry mortar mix and start the reaction. No mess on the pavers. Obviously you will need to water in sections otherwise the reaction won't take place because the paver joints won't be damp enough.

4. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Rake it out and do it properly, mix the mortar with water so it just wet enough to form a ball in your hand when compress, then place it the joints pushing it down with a pointing iron so it is nice and firm, once you have covered a area of say 1qs M run the pointing iron of the joints to smooth then out.

5. Or use the ready mixed stuff, one can be applied in dry weather, the other in wet weather.