power cables over slab under insulation?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by roughberty, Aug 16, 2015.

1. roughberty

roughberty Member

Hi leccies, I'm looking to run the cables for my domestic rewire. It seems that the easiest way to do a couple of the rooms is to run in cables for the power (13A ring main) in the floor of the rooms concerned, as it hasn't yet been installed. Instead of ripping up the floor above to drop down to the sockets.The floor slab is in, dry with DPM and insulation below it, on top of this I will fit Jablite with T&G chipboard over. The cables would run under the Jablite above the slab. Does this compute, or does it offend regs - or even common sense?

2. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

If going under the insulation, I'd run it as a Ring Final in 4mm T&E in black flexi conduit on a 32A MCB. You'd want the black flexi conduit to protect the cable against the expanded polystyrene.

FatHands likes this.
  3. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

I thought new T&E cables no longer have the problem with the expanded polystyrene leeching out the plasticiser?

4. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

Some manufacturer's cables do still react, some don't. Draka's don't.

I pulled up some blue/brown cable a few weeks ago that had reacted. Didn't look to see who the manufacturer was though.

Jablite specifically say in their datasheet to avoid pvc cable.

5. roughberty

roughberty Member

Hi stateit, sorry you had to wait for my new broadband connection for these thanks. I would never have thought of that.