Power Flush options

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by dackers, Jan 20, 2017.

1. dackers

dackers Member

Hey everyone

BG have been unable to get my pumped CH system going and suggested I get the system power flushed (BG can't do it now as they are too busy). The problems started when I drained the system. Our heating is hardly working as the Worcester boiler comes on and goes off. Worcester has also agreed with BG and suggest a power flush.

My question is - is there any chemical I could use before spending out on a power flush like a good quality sludge remover? Is there something I can try rather than a power flush?

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Sentinel X800 let it run around system for a few days or week, even two weeks, BUT it will not remove a blockage.Should notice an improvement within hours.

Power flushing isn't the answer to all problems, peeps use it as quick way to make quick money.

Have a Magaclean Pro 2 filter fitted to the CH return will catch a lot of the crud in a system.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/sentinel-x800-ultimate-cleaner-1ltr/84921?kpid=84921

Joe95 likes this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Speaking from experience peeps are finding they can clean a CH system more efficently with a Magnacleanse than with power flushing.

Joe95 likes this.
  4. dackers

dackers Member

Thanks KIAB (remember me, I should have frozen the pipes lol)

I'll give that a go. My main concern with a power flush is causing leaks etc. which I can with out fixing at the moment.

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Whether power flushing or using a magnacleanse you remove the crud from a radiator, then there is a risk of pin holing especially with older radiators.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
  6. dackers

dackers Member

I have replaced all our rads in the last 5 years, but the pipework is 30yrs plus old. We have hardwood and tiled floors throughout so the last thing I need now is a leak on a join under floor.

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Wouldn't think radiators have much crud, if system had inhibitor in it, copper should be ok.

Trouble when you drain systems, you can cause so many problems by dislodging crud & getting blockages.:rolleyes:

First thing I would do is fit a magnetic filter, Magnaclean Pro 2 among the best to CH return, to collect the crud,rather then keep sending it around the system, then refill & dose with X800.

What Worcester boiler you got.

8. dackers

dackers Member

Worcester Ri

9. dackers

dackers Member

Just one question. I can fit the filter on the return next to the boiler as it's easily accessible. Would it be advisable if I didn't use the heating for a couple of days and only used the hot water to ensure the broke up X800 crud doesn't get stuck. For example, if I fired up the heating is there a chance the crud will get stuck where the 22mm pipe reduces to 15mm under the floor.

Also, when a magnet is placed on the pipe above the CH pump (in the airing cupboard) it sticks which suggests there's crud in this part of the pipe. My plan is to replace this 22mm pipe which connects to the pump.

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

The filter goes on the central heating return pipe, you need to use heating to pump cleaner around system, filter will catch any crud, might have to clean filter several times in first week.

Maybe no need to replace pipe, just drain down & remove it if a short section,& clean it out or remove pump & flush pipe into a bucket.

Couldn't reply earlier,flat phone, only just got in.

Wet n dry vac is great for clean crud from header tank if you have one, make sure it has a cover & is insulated.

11. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

I'd also strongly recommend the use of the Magnaclean Pro 2.
    A powerflush is a way of cleaning the system quickly and once. You'll need to do it year after year and it'll never clear all the crud. Powerflushing also places extreme pressure on the system and can cause leaks easily.
    With a magnetic cleaner you get cleaning of the system forever, and less chance of sudden high-pressure leaks.

The filter should be fitted to the CH return, so it is not attached to the HW system.
    By suggesting a magnet stays on the pipe, I assume you have plastic pipework?
    If so, you need to use insets in the cut ends of the pipe to stop it being crushed.

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Good point about plastic pipe, tend forget about it, I'm a diehard copper fan.:)

Joe95 likes this.
  13. dackers

dackers Member

Thanks guys

The pipe is copper. I thought a magnet wouldn't stick to copper as copper is diamagnetic. Could be wrong though ;-)

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Shouldn't do.

15. Dackers, don't add chemicals unless you fit a magnetic filter (eg Magnaclean) first. You really don't want the loosened sludge going through your boiler.

If the rads are reasonably new as you say, you should be fine. Yes there will be sludge lining the pipes, but that should shift quite easily using chust chemicals.

If you can face it, try removing at least a couple of rads - perhaps the smaller ones... - and take them outside to flush through and test for sludge contect - that should tell you lots about your system's condition.

Don't worry about pin-holing. A powerflush/chemcials don't cause this, but instead can expose them from the inside when the layer of crud - which was blocking them - is removed. If this happens, then it was almost certainly going to happen in the not-too-distant future anyways. So best it happens now...

I seem to be having good success with a professional filter at the moment, along with Adey MC3+ chemicals (see other thread). My hope is to run this for a month or so until I am confident that my system is pretty clean, and then revert back to the wee filter for continued use.

I then hope to sell on the 'big' filter and recover my costs. Keep an eye out on EBay - or Gumtree, etc - and you should be able to pick up a good second-hand unit for no more than £300. After you use it, you should be able to sell it on for exactly the same - they are in steady demand.

dackers and KIAB like this.
  16. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Once again I'll reference this video for cleaning rads:

17. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

I'm sumising that you've got a BG (aka Corillian) insurance policy that covers your boiler and heating system?

If so, why are they going too pass the cost onto you for getting the system working again, whatever the cause may be?

18. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

dackers likes this.
  19. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Always in demand,should be able to easily fully recoup your outlay.:)

If you use Ebay, just don't list it to end on a Friday night.;)

Deleted member 33931 and dackers like this.