Power flushing system with mixed pipe sizes

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by weeleyboy, Dec 10, 2014.

1. weeleyboy

weeleyboy New Member

As mentioned in a previous thread my radiators are not getting hot enough - they are warm but not hot although they seem warm overall,not just at the top. It was suggested that a power flush of the system might be needed but 3 of the radiators are connected to the 15mm loop by 8mm pipe ( don't ask why, they were like this when we moved in) and I read somewhere that power flushes don't work with 8mm pipe.
    Is it worth the cost of flushing or is it worth trying a descaler such as X400?

2. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

<<<<<<power flushes don't work with 8mm pipe.>>>>>> I'll go further than that and say, powerflushed don't work on any size of pipe, they are a circus act, invented by out of work zeppelin designers when the world no longer believed their stories of air travel they found another way to convince people of their worth, " lets clean stuff from the inside, that way nobody can see if it works or not" was the opening speech from the first ever meeting they had,
    and the rest is history, :rolleyes:

3. catchup

catchup Member

4. catchup

catchup Member

If they are done correctly, they can make a big difference to a heating system, especially now we have portable thermal imaging cameras to show customer before and after.
    Get back with them Dinosaurs Tom :(

Dave does Gas likes this.
  5. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Totally with you on this one Catchup, but you won't convince Tom I'm afraid, to him it's just a sales gimmick

6. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

<<<<<especially now we have portable thermal imaging cameras to show customer before and after.>>>>>>

oh don't tell me they've got you buying more gimmickry :D:D:D, we ALL have god given free sences, touch being one of them, you put your hand on a hot spot and it feels hot, if you move it to a cool spot it feels,,,,,,,,,,,,, well work it out, :rolleyes:

7. catchup

catchup Member

Bet you didn't move with the times when they brought out PTFE instead of boss white and hemp. But I bet you did. Prob still using junior hacksaw instead of pipelice. Sooner use powerflush than taking radiators off the wall and trail black sludge over Lounge carpet.;)

8. plumberboy

plumberboy Well-Known Member

Nowt wrong with boss white and hemp.;)

9. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

catchup, my arguement about buying gadgets is YOU have to charge more to the customer to claw back the cost, nobody gives you a powerflush or a thermal camera or a fga, therefore you have to charge more to pay the maker of gadgets who's convinced you that, " your actually doing the customer a better service with these groundbreaking tools" instead of the truthfull " you're lining my pockets, here. why not buy a tie with powerflush king on ":)

10. catchup

catchup Member

Mate, fraid we have to move on or fall by the way side. I want to be out there aswell competing otherwise I don't get the work.Seemples

11. Walt Systems

Walt Systems Member

There is nothing wrong with lead pipe either. :(

12. plumberboy

plumberboy Well-Known Member

There is Walt,come on now wake up.

13. JOMEL

JOMEL Screwfix Select

Wow,
    Bosswhite and hemp...Lead pipe.
    Footprints, wiping cloths, Plumbers black.... Ring a bell ?
    There must be more old B****rs than me in here.
    Johnny 81.

14. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

hello John welcome to the dinosaurs club, I got one of those new fangle yankee screwdrivers last week, I keep my finger on the pulse of technology I do ;)

15. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

John did you get the Intergas boiler installed?

16. JOMEL

JOMEL Screwfix Select

Well her indoors was not having WORK DONE over the xmas period.
    The Intergas rep was calling last week on his way south from Scotland but never appeared.
    I just wanted to see one in the flesh as it was as he carries one in the boot of his car Lol.
    Its all stripped in one of the local sales places so you can see what is NOT in it.
    I am just concerned about it being a bit of a "rare bird"
    The old Potterton has worked for 36 years so why not a few more weeks.
    Lots of BS advertising around on boilers to.

But I will get Santa over first.

In passing the comments on Boss White.
    My overalls were stiff enough to stand up on there own with always
    wiping my fingers on them lol.

Have a nice Xmas.
    This is quite a nice place to look around .

Merry Xmas all you guys.

Johnny M

17. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

Hi JM, refreshing to hear someone who knows that adverts are there to con people and not to help at all, but don't worry about Itergas, they ave a good reputation thou I've never fitted one, you smell like a good plumber, wemen love that combination of boss white cutting oil and plumbers sweat , if any of the leading perfume makers think of bottling it, they'll make a fortune, well anyrode nice chatting see you around, gotta go an earn a crust,;)

18. weeleyboy

weeleyboy New Member

Hi, this discussion seems to have evolved some way from my original question. There seems to be a consensus that power flushes do work - does this include a system with some 8mm pipe? Which raises the question of why is 8mm pipe fitted into a 15mm circuit in the first place.

19. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Do not pay for a power flush on 8 mm pipe, it just wont work. A powerflush works by flow throughout a system 8mm pipe is too small.

20. weeleyboy

weeleyboy New Member

Thanks for that Dave, that's saved a few bob. What was the point of mixing pipe sizes in the fist place as they are only short lengths of 8mm t'eed from 15mm pipe?