Power flushing system with mixed pipe sizes

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by weeleyboy, Dec 10, 2014.

1. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

Ok weelyboy I'm not convinced that powerflushing or chemicals work in any systems whether 8mm, 10mm 15mm or industrial, I base my opinions, and thats all they are opinions, i have no proof but i've been plumbing since i left skool in 1968 and worked in the trade since then,
    8mm was used in the early 70's because of speed of installation it works well on rads of up to 8000 btus but is easily kinked on installation and that was a problem, so its never used now, any build up of crudd is rarely in the micobore 10 and 8 mm pipes because they are pressured by the bigger pipes and the water is forced through like a brake pipe action, any build up of crud will take place in the tees and larger pipes,
    a powerflush will cost you £600 if you let them charge that but will soon drop to £250/300 and offer no guarrantee whatsoever, a chemical flush you can do your self for about £20, some say it works,
    :oops:

FatHands likes this.
  2. catchup

catchup Member

Like you say dude, its only your opinion;)

3. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

but hang on yes I do have some form of proof, as you know i do a few video's and whilst working on a new extention i was taking out a rad from a new boiler installation done by BG, It had been power flushed the week before, filter fitted and when I get home tonight I'll try to root the video out, it clearly shows my emptying the rad and its got gundge it it, stand by,

4. Mr Plum, you are absolutely right - a powerflush will not necessarily remove all the crud because that stuff packs down really tightly and is hard to shift.

When my bro had a new condescending boiler fitted at his hoosie recently, the guy who did the work was brilliant - he had a Magnaclean power-flushing machine which he connected to each radiator separately. He also agitated the rad with a vibrating tool to dislodge the crud - when I was on the phone to my bro at the time, he had to leave the house and walk up t'road to be heard - and I could hear this hellish racket even when he was outside.

Even so, he had to declare defeat with one rad which was solid - so that was replaced. The ones that were successfully cleared filled his tank's filters to a shocking level - my bro was disgusted...

If hot, powerful cleaning chemicals being pumped through an individual rad whilst it's being hammered at the same time doesn't dislodge sludge, then a garden hose-through and a drain-down certainly won't do it either. (I did all of that 10 years ago...)

So, yes, a powerflush is not always the perfect solution, but it often is, and will at least provide a huge benefit.

If you fit a modern boiler to an old system which has sludge in it, that boiler's days are almost certainly numbered. I know this to my cost - and I'm only talking a wee bit of grime in my system.

And, as well as a good clean-through to remove the bulk of crud in the system, any remaining sludge/crud also needs to be removed by filtering before it gets to the boiler.

That really does seem self-evident to me, Tom. And I've lived the proof.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2014
  5. And without the fitted filter, that remaining sludge would - over time - shag the boiler.

6. catchup

catchup Member

A thermal imaging camera before and after my work reveals all to the customer. Youll never get rid of it all, but the benefits outway not doin anything. But it needs to be done correctly like everything else in the Plumbing trade.

7. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

ah ah so i'm gaining ground here now, <<< Youll never get rid of it all,>>>> now you sound like the England manager making excuses before a match,,,,do you knock money off if it does't fully work ??????? :rolleyes:

8. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

<<< needs to be done properly>>> is salesmans talk, but the salesman doesn't do the flushing, the plumber on a price does, he's got a days work and the powerflow circus act can take several hours, so in the REAL world, which is where my feet are standing on, the powerflush showtime gets an early curtain, ;)

9. What I'm saying is, if you fit a modern boiler to an old sludgy system, your boiler will almost certainly be thoroughly fluffed within a few years or less.

A powerflush will - should - remove the bulk of the bulk, and a filter will - should - catch the worst of what continues to be released. So your boiler will - er, should - last a lot longer. Or at least not suffer the problems mine has.

Chemicals are good :).

10. catchup

catchup Member

Tom mate, you really are hard work, don't know whether your trying to score brownie points with your old arcaic ways or your trying to mimic Fred Dibnah, either way I,ve had enough of your incessant rantings. Its quite pathetic how your way is the correct (not). Give it a rest now mate, we,ve all heard enough

11. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

and from who would I get brownie points ? my mission is educate the world on a no win no fee basis and win no fee basis, they all though Aurther Scargill was wrong but 30 years too late he was proved right, you want to throw money away, ok go ahead, no skin off my rice pudding , o_O

12. catchup

catchup Member

Your punctuations grammar, commas, command of speech, timings on screwfix indicate to be a different body inside ole Homer. Me thinks most of you guys on here have been chatting to somebody else from across the border. The full stop between tom and plum did it. :p:p

13. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

not with you catchup, my spelling grammar has allways been poor, its my signature and the full.stop's been there since the screwfix change over when nearly all the old usernames got mangled in the new machinery, if you don't like what i type, don't read it, no need for spitting the dummy out, :(

14. catchup

catchup Member

You've just proved my point with that response, your on here just to argue as you always used to. I,m not a Doppleganger :p

15. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

ok so welcome back wetpants,

16. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

nice to have you back mate, we're short on plumbers there's only plumberboy,dave,meady ,and you all the old un's have gone, apologies to any i've forgotten, and of course there's Walt a wanna be plumber who reads a lot but can't fit his bum on a toilet with an instruction book, but we love him here, ;)

17. sam spade

sam spade Active Member

If you are going to pick Tom up for a triviality - having a full stop between 'tom' and 'plumb' in his username, then I will pick you up for a real clanger: it's I'm; not I,m.

18. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

and up pops sam, sorry sam i forgot about you,:(
    and teabreak and tappy, oh shhhhugar i think my memories knackered :(

19. Jesus Christ.

(Anyways, hi Sam :) )