Power to my garden shed help.

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Martin1987, Jul 4, 2014.

1. Martin1987

Martin1987 New Member

Hi, I have been getting a 8x6 pent shed in my garden and I am wanting to have electrical power in it. I currently have a outside socket. I have a few questions. What cable and cable size do I need? Does it just need connected to a standard plug? Does the cable need to go under ground or can I run it along the bottom of the brick work to the shed? What size adaptor can I use in the shed as more sockets in there the better for me.

Any help will really do.

Thanks

Martin

2. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

you need to work out the load the new cable will be required to support before the size of the cable can be calculated

3. Martin1987

Martin1987 New Member

Once I do that, is it possible to run power from my outside socket all year round? what plug do I need for the cable and is it swa cable I need?

4. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

SWA and standard sockets don't mix, SWA back to the CU or a spur off the back of a ring if the load is light

but you've started at the wrong end of the process, you need to know the load first before you decide on the installation method

just out of curiosity, how will you be testing this ?

5. Biochef

Biochef Member

Tell us what you want to plug in ,and how far away from house shed is ,is your outside socket up to scratch and is it rcd protected does the brickwork go from house to shed ??? You could utilise your outside socket and change it for a fused connection unit ip rated of course then run a length of 2.5 armour to shed ether buried or along wall if poss then you have to look at earthing arrangements it's not a simple yes or no
    Give us more information and we will get on the right track

6. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

All of this work is notifiable and should be undertaken by a reg. spark or Building control, not DIY

7. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

It's only now notifiable if it's a new circuit, if taken from an existing ring etc. no longer notifiable, (stupid as it is).
    Still needs to be done by someone who's competent though!

FatHands likes this.
  8. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

I presume you meant plugs rather than sockets?

9. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

no, I meant sockets, as I believe the OP envisaged terminating a SWA cable and plugging it into the existing outside 13A socket

10. Martin1987

Martin1987 New Member

thanks for the messages. I live in a new build house so the outside socket is up to scratch. Yes there is brickwork all the way to my shed. My shed is approx 15 metres away from my house. It is to power a few heat mats attached to a thermostat for snakes. Plus to power a mini freezer and to charge a cordless drill. The heat mats are 20watts if that helps. Thanks everyone for there time on this.

Martin

11. Martin1987

Martin1987 New Member

One more thing I need to use my outside socket to do this. So What is the max load for that?

12. sparky Si-Fi

Minor works cert upon completion at the very least that OP is going to compile as regs?

If I was doing it, I would be expected to provide one

But then again, it will slip under the radar like all the other DIY stuff

13. Biochef

Biochef Member

If people want DIY it's because they haven't got a lot of money ,
    They don't realise how cheap electricians really are and in the long run a cost effective and safer job
    Martin you won't be able to use existing outside as well as shed socket as it will most likely be a spur off existing circuit but if it's a radial from fuse box then you can because it should be off a 16 amp fuse a fcu will only take a 13 amp fuse so 3000 watts will be your max for shed and use metal sockets and switches so they will take glands for armour cable

14. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

But to plug it in he would had to have attempted to terminate the SWA into a plug rather than the socket. Hence my intervention.

15. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

It ultimately depends how your O/S socket is connected in to the existing circuit that supplies it. Because what you are doing is asking to extend the circuit.

Is it part of an existing ring/radial, or on it's own 16A breaker, or is it fed from a 13A fused spur?

16. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

I rather assumed that the OP would have been able to make that massive leap of understanding all by himself

17. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

My point is that SWA could be terminated in a socket by glanding it into the backbox - it is the plug which it can't be terminated into.

18. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

fine, good point, 3 posts to late, but it's a good point :rolleyes:

19. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

:D

20. sparky Si-Fi

I would like to see some pics of this said finished project!