Power to the summer house

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by yorkyguy, Oct 1, 2014.

1. yorkyguy

yorkyguy Active Member

Hello all,

I want to install mains to a summer house to power a laptop, a light and possibly a small fan heater (max 2 kw).

I intend to install a small consumer unit in the 'shed' but what is the correct way of connecting to my house consumer unit. I have spare provision on the unit for an MCB and intend to use u/g armoured cable. Total distance is about 15 mtrs.

All advice and information gratefully received.

Cheers

2. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Other questions

1) What are the current earthing arrangements at the house side. i.e. TNCS or TT (earth rod)?

2) Is your house end terrace of terrace, how are you planning on routing the SWA from the hosue to Summer hosue?

3) Could ducting be installed inside the trench to export phone line or modem line etc?

4. yorkyguy

yorkyguy Active Member

Thanks for the reply Jitender.

1) Current earthing arrangements are PME in the house.
    2) End of terrace with SWA in a trench from the CU into the summerhouse.
    3) No need for a modem as the wireless connection to the house is excellent as it is when running the laptop on battery power. Don't intend to run anything else really.

5. yorkyguy

yorkyguy Active Member

Also the CU is a Wylex unit (not sure which until I go and look) BUT only has ONE spare on the bus bar and the RCBO occupies TWO spaces. Can I simply fit the 63 amp RCD in the house with the metal CU in the 'shed'?

Cheers

6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

The 63A RCD would be sited in the summerhouse CU supplying the relevant circuits i.e. lighting and power.

You'll need 1 spare way in your house CU. The SWA would normally terminate in a box near the CU with glands and then be brought into the spare way inside the house CU. The MCB supplying the summerhouse doesn't have to be RCD protected. What board do you have at present? i.e. is it a dual split load RCD (i.e. with 2 x RCDS and a main switch) or just a split load board (i.e. 1 side unprotected ways and the rest are RCD with a main switch?)

7. yorkyguy

yorkyguy Active Member

Hi again,
    I'm currently away from the property but I am certain that it is a small modern Wylex CU split load - with all circuits (Upper ring, lower ring, lighting, shower, kitchen ring and a spare) 5 in all protected by a mains dual pole trip - presumably cos of the lack of space.

8. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

A picture would be helpful.

9. yorkyguy

yorkyguy Active Member

10. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

OK those two can be installed in the summer house, you'll just need to swap the 100A main switch for the 63A RCD.

I am thinking that you would have 2 circuits in the summer house one for power and the other for lighting.

1) A 20A MCB would be be fine for the power side, this circuit would be a radial circuit.
    2) A 6A MCB for the lighting circuit.
    3) You could also instal an additional lighting for the lighting if you'll be using a exterior flood light, but both can be used on just the one circuit. Just buy a pack of blanks to cover the slots on your CU.

For the loads you have described a 4mm SWA cable would be ample, but I would fit 6mm cable.

11. yorkyguy

yorkyguy Active Member

12. yorkyguy

yorkyguy Active Member

Would earthing still be OK?

13. yorkyguy

yorkyguy Active Member

At the end of all this, I only need one 13a socket and one light so would 4mm suffice or does the thought of a 2kw fan heater mean 6mm is best?

14. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

If you have PME your earthing arrangement is TNCS. The SWA 3cr would be glanded with a lock ring and a banjo ring. Use a length of 6mm earth cable crimped one end and connect with a nut and bolt to the banjo terminal. The other end to the earth bar on CU, this should be done at both ends i.e house and summerhouse.

You will be able to bring the SWA straight in to the bottom of the CU.

15. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

There are other options. For instance you could come in straight with the SWA directly into a metal clad double socket, disregarding the CU altogether. And then use a FCU downgraded to 3A for your lighting circuit.

The 4mm would very easily meet your needs, but for a small amount (£25) for 6mm. It just makes sure you're protected if ever you put in further appliances later on.

16. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Could you provide the ratings in A's for the current circuits you have:

1) Upper ring
    2) Lower ring
    3) Lighting
    4) Shower
    5) Kitchen ring

17. yorkyguy

yorkyguy Active Member

Hi Jitender,

You are an absolute star!! I can't give you the ratings till I get to the house this week end but I have a very clear idea of what to do. The job will probably have to wait 'till half term. When I am there I will look at the CU, take a pic and give you a complete idea of where we are. In the mean time, I will begin to compile the shopping list and get back to you ASAP. Have a great evening. Cheers!

18. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I was thinking that the main 63A RCD in house could be replaced with a higher 80A RCD.

This one could then go in the summerhouse CU.

All dependent on what the ratings for the other circuits are.

Just wait until you hear the view of the regular electricians on here.

19. yorkyguy

yorkyguy Active Member

Here is the CU

Attached Files:

20. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

There are only 4 circuits in the CU. Is it possible that all the sockets are on a single 32A? It would be a good idea to label these for reference.

Regarding the CU, an MCB can be inserted into the spare fuseway. The only downside is that when you have the summerhouse CU installed there will be two RCDS in series, resulting in inconvenience should it trip. There will be no discrimination between the 2 CU's.