Pre finished worcester oak door hanging help

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Door, Apr 8, 2016.

1. Door

Door New Member

We had a pre finished worcester oak door fitted today but the outside edge where the handle and latch is is rough and the inside edge where the hinges are are nicely pre finished. Has this been hung the wrong way around? Thank you.

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Just down to the fitting/fitter.

3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It sounds like the door was hung and then it clashed with the liner and then it was badly trimmed to fit.

4. Door

Door New Member

I have no idea about this sort of thing. Normally would the rough edge have gone on the inside?

Or do you mean you think he has cut the outside edge to fit after he put the hinges on the other edge?

Sorry to sound stupid? Also what do you mean CGN about it being down to the fitting/fitter?

Do the pre finished doors normally come with all edges pre finished?

Thanks

5. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It wasn't supplied with a rough edge.

6. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Yup.

7. The leading edge should have been taken off the hinge and lock side.

8. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Unless the door was damaged to start with, in which case the fitter should have let you know, then it's down to a wood butcherer. Or no budget for sand paper!

9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

The fitter has had to plane the door edges to shoot it into the frame and make it fit, it would appear your concern is it needs re-finishing.

chippie244 likes this.
  10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Well written x

11. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Kisses! The wine flowing well then Chippie? :)

chippie244 likes this.
  12. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Thank you sweet heart :p:D

chippie244 likes this.
  13. Door

Door New Member

Thank you for your comments.

Is it common for this to happen and these doors to need refinishing? I just need to be sure of how I'm going to approach this with him when he comes back on Monday. I'm really not happy with the finish as we paid extra for pre finished doors and as this is a door that is going to be mainly open it stands out like a sore a thumb. The XLJoinery kit to fix the problem is going to cost too.

When the doors are fitted do you not know if they are going to close properly until the hinges and handles are fitted and the door is hung?

14. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Was the door fitted to an existing lining?

15. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

The door liner, especially on an old house, is rarely what it should be so you have to shoot it in, however this should be done neatly.
    I have no idea what a XLJoinery kit is, the door should just need a sand.

16. seen it all before

seen it all before Active Member

A door needs fitting to the frame it's going into, hence the fitter has had to plane it. These doors end up with marks of the planer blades, this is Unavoidable.
    What should then be done is he should use a sander to sand said edges of doors. Normally then you are supplied with a small tub of stain/oil to treat the edges, but thus does not totally match the rest of the door as that has been lacquered several times in a professional work shop.

17. Door

Door New Member

Thanks.

Im guessing it needs sanding and them kind of varnish put on it? As its not shiny and finished like the rest of the door.

18. Door

Door New Member

Seenitallbefore - thank you. I hadnt seen your post before posting mine.

seen it all before likes this.
  19. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

for this to have been 'perfect', it would need the door and frame as a pre cut set. getting any door into an existing frame means a compromise of sorts. it might be poor work or higher expectations for the circumstances. some finishes just can't be worked on site by your average chippy, as they might have been formed under special conditions by the manufacturers.

20. Door

Door New Member

Thank you all for taking the time to respond. Really helpful.