Preparing plaster prior to papering & painting

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by StevesST220, Jan 23, 2015.

1. StevesST220

StevesST220 Member

Morning all.

I have been tasked by a customer to 'paint' a bedroom. I arrived at the house to find that what I actually have to do is remove old wallpaper, repaper the walls and then paint them.
    I have removed original paper and found the walls to be in a good condition except around the window (now uPVC, previously box sash). Around the window I have used Thistle One Coat plaster to make good repairs as the damage was too deep for a normal filler.
    I just wanted to know:
    1. What product to use to size the original plaster?
    2. Can I size the repair plaster with the same product.
    3. After hanging the new paper how long do I have to wait before painting?
    Thank you

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

If you are using a lining paper why are you sizing the walls first???, I would have thought the paste would stick ok to the plaster, painting the lining paper should be ok the following day, providing the room is warm allowing the paste to dry.

3. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I've gotta ask Steve, are you new to the game of decorating ?

Don't mean to be rude or smart but these are pretty basic question really

Anyway, we are all learning all the time and if you don't know something, better to ask

I'm a diy'er so take my comments with caution !;)

1. Don't usually need to size plaster that has originally been sized or previously hung with paper. Maybe old plaster that is dry and dusty but you say this is in good condition so no need

Wallpaper paste that you use will have mixing instructions to also make up as size, either powder or ready mixed paste, just check the instructions

2. Yep size the repair patches prior to paper hanging, or any sizeable areas of filler. This will stop the filler / plaster sucking the water out of the paste

3. Steve, Steve, Steve ........
    This isn't an exact science here but more common sense and judgement. Lots of factors will effect drying times;

Air temperature, internal / external walls, thickness of paper, how much paste you slap on, type of paste used, what colour socks you wear whilst papering

Just use your head and judgement here mate but approx 1-3 days I would think and hope the job goes well , really

4. StevesST220

StevesST220 Member

Phil, I'm not using a lining paper, but, a paintable wallpaper supplied by the customer (Homebase Santuary). Also, I want a better adhesion than "ok", but, thank you for your help anyway.

DIYDave - thank you for your response. I'm fairly new to the game, but, just wanted opinion as to size with wallpaper paste or something such as Zinsser GARDZ.

5. Lasher

Lasher New Member

Personally once you have filled in all the holes and imperfections I would give the walls a coat of Beeline Primer sealer, dries in an hour and then ready to paint or lay paper. It's the same as Gardz but an awful lot cheaper...

6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Same as a mist coat of emulsion!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Sand all walls with abrasive paper, paint over new plastered area with thinned emulsion then size all walls with a quality wallpaper size thinned as per instructions and let dry overnight. At this time of year unless the room is well heated I would advise to let the wallpaper dry out for at least 2-3 days prior to applying any emulsion paint over it.