Preperation before applying MAPEI Waterproofing Kit

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by pingcosby, Jun 8, 2016.

1. pingcosby

pingcosby New Member

Hi experts, before I apply the a MAPEI tanking kit I have a couple of questions I don't seem to be able to find answers to in the MI.

Two walls are plasterboard 'normal' board, the third wall is moisture resistant plaster board.

The boards are stacked on top of each other -- imagine a capital H

• Where the boards meet do i need to tape the joints?
    • Do i need to fill all dents and marks in the boards; if i do - can i just use some old pre-mixed adhesive i have been given ( am assuming this will be ok as the WPS will be covering it anyways ) ? But will it react to the primer.
    • On the floor a shower tray has been fitter this has already been sealed with silicone, just to fill the gap. BUT there is a slight smear of silicone on the plasterboard ~half an inch in places - i did not notice it until it dried. Will the WPS / Primer stick to this or do i need to scrape it all off?
    • The tape is wide with what looks like a rubber center and a mesh outer. When applying the tape to the shower tray do you trim off the mesh that would overlap the shower tray.
    • Any tips on actually applying the tape to the shower tray?
    Thanks in advance for any help / advice

2. TheMorg

TheMorg Active Member

• I would tape the joints.
    • Don't bother filling dents/scrapes unless it's going to cause problems tiling an unlevel surface.
    • The WPS will stick fine to the silicone.
    • Don't trim off the mesh until you have tiled, then just run a stanley knife along the edge to cut it.
    • I paint a coat of WPS on the parts to be taped before applying it (might say this in the instructions).
    Unless you have already bought the Mapei one, have a look at the Everbuild Aquaseal kit- much easier to apply the tape, they give you more of everything in the kit (enough primer for the entire bathroom), and it's nearly half the price.

3. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

I use aquaseal. Really straightforward to use and I had plenty left over that I used to tank around my shower tray base to and along my floor/wall junctions and plywood floor joint - extra security!

4. pingcosby

pingcosby New Member

Sadly i already have the Mapei kit- i bought it with a Screwfix voucher - SF didnt sell the aquaseal product!

5. pingcosby

pingcosby New Member

@TheMorg - some great tips - thanks; appreciate the advice.

Unfortunately i have already purchased the Mapei kit :(

One question- you replied :-

6. TheMorg

TheMorg Active Member

I just use the waterproof tape.

7. pingcosby

pingcosby New Member

Thanks - i should have been more specific in my original question with what i actually meant. Thanks for the advice