Present for Wife; Bypass and Anvil Secateurs .. HELP Please?

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by wingit, Mar 24, 2016.

1. wingit

wingit Member

I want to buy a decent'ish set of secateurs for an Easter present .. what is the difference between bypass and anvil secateurs .. do they do the same job? I am thinking of Spear and Jackson .. not budget trash but also I won't get it in the neck for spending too much. If they do different jobs there will be points for me knowing the difference and taking an interest.

Any help please?

2. ramseyman

ramseyman Screwfix Select

Bypass will give a much cleaner cut and are the professional choice. Anvil rely on the upper blade crushing stems against the anvil. The anvil is usually made of a softish brass-like material which develops a groove in it over time rendering the secateurs even more damaging in use and it can be difficult to find replacements. I have filed the anvil flat a couple of times on old secateurs used for rougher jobs. Felco are the bees knees but a bit pricey.

3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I would go for felco too, my friend has the new one with the revolving handle, but that's not for me.

It's just a case of finding the correct set as there are a few to chooses from.

Maybe a good idea to get her a garden centre voucher :)

Wilko's used to sell them!

4. proby

proby Active Member

Your a brave man, if I bought my wife a pair of secateurs I'd be frightened of what she would prune:oops:
    But seriously I've had a pair of bypass for about forty years think they where Spear and Jackson but not certain.

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Also have a look at the ratchet ones.

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

7. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

8. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

Bypass work like scissors, with a shearing action, anvil have a clamping/crushing action.

Regards,

Cando

9. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

I bought my wife a pair of S & J bypass secateurs from our host's competitors next door for about £13. They have a rotating grip.I thought WTF is this gimick,but actually they are brill. I can really recommend them !! :)

10. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Get a Japanese pull saw too, hand for cutting down large branches.

11. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

The rotating grip is well worth it and really does work especially if you are going to be using them for a long stint.

Felco are one of the better makes used by a lot of professionals and serious amateurs http://www.worldoffelco.co.uk/secateurs

12. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

which did you go for?

13. parahandy

parahandy Screwfix Select

Easter presents?
    When did that start?

longboat likes this.
  14. I only hope that Wingit can raise himself from the dead when he hands over that present... :oops:

CGN likes this.
  15. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Purchased a set of these, I know they are more expensive then Felco :oops:

But if you like gardening then this is really a a good set of secateurs, extremely well made and and elegant.

[​IMG]

16. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Been using the Japanese secateurs for over a year now and very pleased with them, expensive but well worth it. Blades are still very sharp. Like the solid catch to close it.

17. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Lent my pair of secateurs to someone helping clear my garden, he didn't return them :mad:

gonna have to buy a new pair :(

18. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

*ugge* :(

19. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

That's a new one 'Cut and Run! :p

KIAB likes this.
  20. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I soon be knocking on their door asking for them back.:mad:

Never lend tools any kind Jit.