Pressure Reducing Valve

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Tremster, May 28, 2017.

1. Tremster

Tremster New Member

I have just fitted a Caleffi 533841H PRV. It's doing a great job but has now started a high pitch whistling when you turn the taps on. It stops when you open the tap fully but if you reduce the flow rate, the whistling starts ! Any ideas ?

2. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Is there a reason you fitted a pressure reducer, It the tap compatable to low pressure? sound as though it needs a higher flow rate to operate correctly.

3. Tremster

Tremster New Member

We have just over 10bar of pressure and have just had a combi fitted so needed one for the showers to work properly. All the taps are high pressure taps but it makes the whistling when we get water from the American fridge freezer aswell which has a working pressure or between 1.5 bar and 5 bar. The value is currently set at 3 bar

Dave does Gas likes this.
  4. Spookily enough I fitted one of these a year ago for my outlaws as their pressure was so high that it blew out the safety 'pip' in their leccy shower when they turned the temp down to 'cold' one time.

It droned and whined and made a hellish sound in use.

I contacted Caleffi themselves and they claimed it would only do that if the mains pressure was EXTREMELY high, in excess of 10 bar for instance. It certainly wasn't the case here.

Anyhoo, after that unhelpful answer, I dismantled the unit - very easy as it's designed to do this 'cos it has a filter inside - and then took the guts apart - again dead easy as there was, I think, chust one nut in t'middle. Chust keep a note of the order of parts, that's all.

I then gave all the bits - rubber and metal - a smear of silicone grease (every home should have a tube - but ONLY use silicone grease for this) and reassembled.

Jobbie jobbed.

Works on whining cistern inlet washers too.

Tremster likes this.
  5. Tremster

Tremster New Member

Top tip ! I'll attempt that tomorrow and let you know, cheers

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  6. Tremster

Tremster New Member

Top Top Tip !
    Took it apart last night, loobed it right up and now it fine, thanks fella

7. Cool :).

Guess what I've been doing this very afternoon? Yep - re-lubing my in-law's PRV...:oops:

Well, at least it gave a year of no squealing... :rolleyes:

Tremster likes this.
  8. Tremster

Tremster New Member

Bugger, that means I'm going to be doing the same in a years time then :( At least I know what to do now !