Pressure relief outlet going into condensate pipe

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Dario Riccio, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Dario Riccio

Dario Riccio New Member

Hi

Just a quicky. Having a boiler fitted Worcester 30i and the engineer has put the plastic relief outlet pipe straight into the condensate drain pipe. Boiler is in the loft. The condensate pipe 22mm goes straight out the back wall and into drain. No lagging.
    Is it ok to have these 2 piped going into 1?

2. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

No and the relief outlet must be in 15mm copper I believe.

3. My understanding is that (a) the safety discharge pipe MUST be copper, and (b) the pipe end MUST be visible (tho' directed away safely) so's you can monitor if it's letting by.

So, apart from these two issues, your 'engineer' is awesome...

Oh, and any external condensate pipe should be either lagged or increased in size to 35mm or summat.

So, apart from these three issues...

4. ramseyman

ramseyman Screwfix Select

Devs is dead on

5. Dario Riccio

Dario Riccio New Member

Sorry. I've gone back to the installer and mentioned these problems and he says there's no problem. The pipe doesn't need lagging and it's okay for the pipes to be joined. Im not sure what to do next?

6. Contact Worcester and ask their advice.

7. Dario Riccio

Dario Riccio New Member

They had a problem with getting the boiler working and had to call Worcester. It was their recommendation that those things were to be done. They didn't hang around to wait until it was finished.
    They did also say I need loft ladders, bars and boarding out which I will do.

8. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Well according to Worcester Bosch on page 12 of the boiler installation manual
    https://www.worcester-bosch.co.uk/support/document/download/6720811922

It says this:

PRESSURE RELIEF PIPE WORK

• The pressure relief drain pipe (1) from the boiler should be at least 15mm diameter copper pipe and run downwards, away from any electrical equipment or other hazard, preferably to an external drain or soak away.

• The pressure relief drain pipe (1) should be finished with a partial bend, near the outlet to face the external wall (as shown) to help prevent freezing.

I would suggest this is more aligned with DA's description than your installers.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  9. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I presume the installer is Gas Safe registered and do you have his installer number

Also has the boiler commissioning paperwork been filled out in the manufacturers instal manual

10. Blimey, that ain't as clear as I thought.

I'd always assumed for some reason that the pipe end had to be visible so's it provides an indication that summat is amiss? But not according to that doc.

I'd also always assumed that the pipe 'bend' was to direct the discharge - which could be superheated water - away from where it could cause harm.

Man, I need to stop assuming so much... :oops:

(Anyhoo, how does the pipe end bend help prevent freezing?)

11. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

I don't think the plastic waste pipe that is used for the condensate could withstand the temperatures that come from the prv under certain circumstances.
    Also if the plastic pipe has horizontal runs or freezes the pipe could back-up when the prv lifts.
    I've never seen it fitted like this.
    IMO the prv (discharge) should run in 15 mm copper from the boiler to outside and discharge in a visible location.

12. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

No, for another reason. What comes out of the pressure relief pipe will be at pressure, therefore the exit of this pipe needs to be in free air otherwise an explosion could occur. If it exits into the plastic condensate pipe, then thre's a risk the condensate pipe might explode if the prv blows.

13. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Wind does blow up it!!

14. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Regs have been changed, the PRV can go into a drain nowadays provided it is fitted with a tundish. Same as an unvented D2 can go into main drains via a fanny trap.

15. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

I'm sure a boiler overflow could go into a mains drain but not via solvent welded plastic pipe.
    I'm sure with unvented it can discharge into plastic but only if pushfit is used.

16. Whenever wind blows up ma troos, it feel colder. So how does a bend help against freezing?

17. What is the purpose of a tundish here - to act as an air break or to provide a visual for letting by?

(When you consider the number of issues peeps on here have had with leaking PRVs, and we've directed them out to check the discharge pipe, how is the OP Dario going to check his?!)

18. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

The pipe bend doesn't stop it freezing DA.(So I assume WB have got it wrong) The pipe bend is there to return any possible flow back to the wall, so people can't get scalded by very hot water (should the PRV valve operate)

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  19. Cool - that's what I thought. It makes sense.

(Whoa! JJ talked sense?!!! :()