Pressure testing underfloor heating

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Rileyfinn, Apr 13, 2014.

1. Rileyfinn

Rileyfinn New Member

Hey can underfloor heating be pressure tested with a normal water pump pressure tester?

2. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

The correct way two do it is fill it to working pressure and leave it seven days, then and only then can the floor be screeded or layed over it its then left another seven days and vthe it can be heat tested. Long boring process which need to be planned well.

FatHands likes this.
  3. plumberboy

plumberboy Well-Known Member

Your right Dave it is a very very boring process and one that I try not to get involved in lol:)

4. Rileyfinn

Rileyfinn New Member

Can it not just be pressurized by a water pressure testing pump and check for pressure loss?

5. plumberboy

Yes,but remember different manufacture's specify different test pressures through to commissioning.

6. Rileyfinn

Rileyfinn New Member

So if I attach the pump up to the fill point and pump it to pressure?

7. plumberboy

Fill system with water and remove all the air -that's very important, make sure all loops are open on manifold, then pressure test from fill point to the recommended pressure for that product.Then screed floor as Dave said earlier(leave for seven days), the pressure will rise as the screed cures that's normal.After test is over it has to be heated in stages,starting low temp up to working temp normally over another seven days.I've probably missed something because as I said earlier it's all very long winded and boring lol:)

8. Rileyfinn

Rileyfinn New Member

Do I need to fill each loop seperatly just to pressure test? Could this been do when properly filling. Its been tested before and has been screeded want to check no trades have hit any pipes though

9. plumberboy

What work has been carried out that makes you think someone may of hit the pipes?

10. Rileyfinn

Rileyfinn New Member

joiner putting up a stood wall

11. plumberboy

If system has been tested it should be charged with water?
    Each loop to be filled separately remove air.
    All loops open to test.

12. Rileyfinn

Rileyfinn New Member

is it necessary to remove all air if just pressure testing? i'm not sure if they tested with water or air

13. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

All sounds too complicated to me. o_O I'm an engineer, not a plumber. If we did a pipe run, ( HP gas at 3500 psi) then we would pressure test hydraulically to 1,5 times x working pressure. If the gauge dropped, then yes, we had a leak. And yes, you must vent all the air from the system first !!!

14. plumberboy

Remove all air because you need air out off the loops anyway to run the system at the end.The install should of been tested with water not air as air will compress water will not.

15. Rileyfinn

Rileyfinn New Member

thanks how do you shut the flow meters off? by screwing down clockwise

16. plumberboy

Yes,there should be a lock off on each one.

17. Rileyfinn

Rileyfinn New Member

Can the underfloor heating just be left full after pressure testing?

18. Rileyfinn

Rileyfinn New Member

Thank what do you mean by lock off?

19. plumberboy

Yes leave full of water,,lock off's are on the flow metres once they are set to correct flow/lpm

20. Rileyfinn

Rileyfinn New Member

so lift the lock off's then screw down to shut off?