Previous wall removal RSJ enquiry

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Phillip K, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Phillip K

Phillip K New Member

I have been living in my house for just over a year and a half now. The previous owners used to have a lounge diner they have had it bricked up and removed the wall to make a kitchen diner, there is what looks like a metal RSJ and a wooden beam in place but want to make sure that it is adequate support. Since living here I have not noticed any movement.

Attached Files:

2. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

We can't obviously guarantee that the floor and structure of the house is adequately supported based on the pictures. However, it does seem sound and as you say there is no movement cracks so possibly not a risk.

Some timbers in the structure are superfluous and could be removed if you want

3. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Couple of closer photos of the other side of the rsj and the ends of it would be a bit more enlightening, looks ok to start, however I'd get shot of the 2x2's and do a proper job of a false ceiling/bulkhead, something's out of level too, either the beam or the timber framework.

4. Phillip K

Phillip K New Member

It's just because I don't have any documentation for the removal of the wall but there is a steel beam/rsj in place along with a wooden beam.

5. Phillip K

Phillip K New Member

I just want to check before I box it in and plasterboard it. How would I find out if it's been done correctly.

Attached Files:

6. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

You would have to pay for a structural engineer to come out and do some calculations and checks, and possibly remove some of the plaster on the walls to check the bearing of the rsj.

7. Phillip K

Phillip K New Member

How much does it cost to get a structural engineer out?

8. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Can vary significantly between engineers, best to phone round and ask what they charge to visit site, and what their reports cost.

9. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Unless it is really structurally unsound there shouldn't be an issue for BCO. However, during a house sale they may request proof that it is structurally sound.

Where I am in Wales a SE calc can be from around £250 which covers the site visit and writing a report.

10. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

And where I'm from ( Hertfordshire) that cost would more then double to 500+

11. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Down here they drive a focus - in Hertfordshire it would be either German or Italian (except Fiat!) :D

12. Phillip K

Phillip K New Member

As there are two beams I am thinking of making a frame and boxing them with plaster board. Is this ok also I will be looking at getting downlights installed in the box is this suitable?

13. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

The inspectors always like beams enclosed in plasterboard for fire protection. To keep them happy I would also fit the lights in a "hood" especially if you are fitting older style halogen lights

14. Phillip K

Phillip K New Member

So I take it if I build the frame around both brams then plasterboard it then get an electrician to install suitable lighting is that following the right regulations or is there more I need to do

15. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Plasterboard it once the electrician has run cables, not before. Probably best to use fire rated pink plasterboard to satisfy regs.

16. Phillip K

Phillip K New Member

If say the rsj and beam isn't suitable what would be involved in installing suitable support

17. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

If undersized, a deeper rsj and beam, if lacking bearing, building new pillars underneath both sides. I wouldn't worry though, the old owners lived there without anything happening to them and it doesn't look like you're in any immediate danger.

18. SWBUILDERS

SWBUILDERS Active Member

Phil if you want to put your mind at rest then you really need a structural engineer to look at it as previously mentioned, he will then provide you with calculations that will either confirm that the structural opening is ok and or spec a new beam size then when you come to sell your house you will have the docs you are lacking. from what I can see beam should be on bearing plates or at least a padstone and looks pretty corroded and could do with a clean down and a red oxide before boxing in again

19. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

Isn't the obvious step to enquire from BC if the work was done under Regs??

20. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

With the timber beam and look of the steel it looks like it done in the 70's or 80's I doubt whether the BC records will go back that far - but worth a try