price for bricky per 1000 bricks

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by conlan, Feb 7, 2008.

1. conlan

conlan Member

What does a qualified bricky get paid per 1000 bricks and per m2 of block in scotland. I,ve been told that £450 per 1000 brick is top dollar. Looking to employ a bricky for my self build and just want to make sure the price is right. I,m not looking to be a miserable bugger just want to know what a fair price is.

cheers

2. handcraft

handcraft New Member

450 is quite dear unless its including labour a decent bricky should do 1000 a day

lee

3. sammy toaster

sammy toaster New Member

no brickie is going to lay 1000 bricks a day on a back extension, if you expect that then i,m afraid you will have trouble finding one.

4. handcraft

handcraft New Member

maybe you dont cus all the brickies you know are probably pikeys stop ***** stirring sammy t its all you ever do

lee

5. ­

­ New Member

1000 a day building warehouse flanks perhaps, definately NOT on housing or extensions.

500 a day more likely if you want it done properly.

6. handcraft

handcraft New Member

i know an amazing bricky and he has a great labour team aswell and he can do any where up to 1000 a day

lee

7. sammy toaster

sammy toaster New Member

lee your amazing brickie obviously has an amazing bunch with him.

8. ­

­ New Member

> i know an amazing bricky and he has a great labour
    team aswell and he can do any where up to 1000 a day

lee

So you're admitting 1000 a day is not the norm. Your guy is 'amazing' and has a 'great labour team' and yet he can only do 'up to' 1000 a day. (and I'll bet that's not <u>every</u> day)

So the average bricky (who's not amazing - this is just his way of earning a living) will be nowhere near 1000 a day. More like 500 as I said.

Jeeeez, some labourers have trouble <u>loading out</u> 1000 a day.

9. ­

­ New Member

> What does a qualified bricky get paid per 1000 bricks
    and per m2 of block in scotland. I,ve been told that
    £450 per 1000 brick is top dollar. Looking to employ
    a bricky for my self build and just want to make sure
    the price is right. I,m not looking to be a miserable
    bugger just want to know what a fair price is.

cheers

Price isn't everything, this is going to be your house so you want a team who are neat and accurate, not fast.

10. conlan

conlan Member

What does a qualified bricky get paid per 1000
    bricks
    [/b]and per m2 of block in scotland. I,ve been told
    that
    £450 per 1000 brick is top dollar. Looking to
    employ
    a bricky for my self build and just want to make
    sure
    the price is right. I,m not looking to be a
    miserable
    bugger just want to know what a fair price is.

cheers

Price isn't everything, this is going to be your
    house so you want a team who are neat and accurate,
    not fast.

granted its not a speed test. all i,m looking for is somebody to turn up and do a good job for good money and not rip the p i s s.

11. D.S Builders

D.S Builders New Member

£450 per thou is contractor's price if your going to be paying them you should be paying between £300-£370 per thou just depends on how good they are.Speed will not come into this for you its up to the brickie how quick he works because he only gets paid for what his laid unlike day work.On top of the laying price they will charge you extras such as damp,ties and lintels etc. As a experienced bricklayer myself with my own company i find a 1000 bricks a day a bit optimistic i would say a good brickie will do up to around 700 a average speed brickie 500

12. conlan

conlan Member

cheers ds builders

what do you reckon is a fair rate for per 1000 brick including the extras like dpc ,lintels, ties ,jabalite.

13. D.S Builders

D.S Builders New Member

A fair rate in the midlands per thou is £330 but have known it as low £275 which in my eyes is taking the **** as for lintels it depends on the size. A doorway lintle i charge £15 for up to £75. As for damp and ties i dont reley charge for these i may stick £50 on the end price.Take a look at www.londonbricklayers.co.uk i use this site for prices and other info.All my prices are labour only

14. conlan

conlan Member

Are the ds builders based in glasgow? If so what would you charge for a house extension which has 5000 brick and 180m2 block including the ties etc. labour only ? i,ve had a few folk basically getting greedy and trying to rip me off with quotes.

cheers for the info by the way.

15. D.S Builders

D.S Builders New Member

hi mate unfornatly were from wolverhampton in the west midlands and glasgow is a fair way from me.But as a rough price with out a contractor you should be looking at roughly approx £4,000-£5,000 with a contractor you will be looking around £6-7k brickwork only. I would look for an 'older' gang to take it on someone who is close to retirement wink but these are only rough prices and depends on each job to be honnest

16. ProDave

ProDave New Member

Not exactly what you want, but a year ago I paid a gang of brickies £1.50 per block laid.

Note that's 4" concrete blocks, not bricks (the building was being harled)

That was for 3 people (2 laying and one mixing / labouring) near Inverness in the Highlands.

I supplied the materials, sand, cement, blocks etc and the mixer, they just turned up with their trowels etc and laid them. They did a good job so if you are nearby I would be happy to reccommend them.

17. sammy toaster

sammy toaster New Member

ds builders is based in wolverhampton which he kindly informs us is in the west midlands,he uses london brick co. for his prices and information and recomends you get an old git in glasgow to lay 750 bricks a day for you in return for 10 pints of heavy.

18. D.S Builders

D.S Builders New Member

not quite sammy if you take a look at londonbricklayers.co.uk its for all over the country not just london as you will no prices vary from north to south. As for getting a old git to lay 750 brick aday that would be a bit excessive what i ment was an older person would take his time and perfect the job as he wouldnt be botherd about making mega bucks and just lash it up but this is just my opinion.AS for my self and my gang we try to go for top money and a older person just be making a few beer tokens if you know what i mean

19. Biffo

Biffo Member

Dingle ??

20. sammy toaster

sammy toaster New Member

in other words ds you and yor gang are really a nice bunch.