Price of a bricklayer

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by soggb, May 18, 2015.

1. soggb

soggb New Member

We doing a 2 storey extension ground floor 3.39 x 5.4m French doors at rear, sec storey will be 3.39 x 4.47 with 2 windows front and rear, we are kind of doing most ourselves and just getting different people like bricklayer, roofer, plumber ect... We are in Suffolk so prices are quite reasonable, We have gotten 3 quotes from bricklayers, 1 who just done my brothers extension on house and shop and wanted £4500, he works on his own (but he can't start till July as he is very busy) so other half will be doing the labour for him when he finish work and getting bricks ready ect and my cousin is going to be helping him during the day with the labouring , another who has built 2 houses for my uncle and wanted £4k and has his own labourer (these 2 we are buying the materials) and the 3rd he quoted us £12K with materials included there is 2 of them plus labourer, I understand that being 3 works get done quickly, but as they will finish quicker they will just take another job, so not like they will loose money... ... All of them are just doing the brickwork taking it up to damp proof, i will finish the rest of the ground work taking it up to floor level, they will also be putting the damp proof on bricks and adding the lintels, joist hangers... What price should I be looking at... I do have someone else coming round to give us a quote so will be interesting to see... I forgot to mention materials is going to cost us around £3500- £4000 the most

2. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

3. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

Sorry the forum is supposed to be a friendly place but your query is a bit muddled IMHO.
    You have three quotes .The fact that one is apparently a 2+1 gang ( 2 tradesmen and 1 labourer) should not affect the overall cost. They will just get the job done quicker. You should not agree to a dayrate basis as they might spin it out, You should try to get a price per 1000 bricks laid or on an area basis.
    But with your involvement with greatest respect they won't want to be stopping & starting all the time. They go at quite a blistering pace compared to me at any rate! . Professionals on here will need to see your plans which presumably have been approved the planners and compliance with Building Regulations. Your three quotes are £4000, £4500 and £12000 -4000 = £6000?
    You could go with your gut instinct. IMHO the first two at least seem very reasonable on the information available. I assume that there will be three two storey walls and the fourth will be the house.

Bricklayers can earn up to £1000 a week and over. A top flight bricklayer might not want to get involved in a smallish domestic extension where the homeowner is doing a lot of the work.
    There are one or two things in your post that I cannot understand. Are you proposing to do the foundations yourself and bricks up to DPC?
    Are you going to supply bricks, blocks wall ties, insulation and mortar ?
    Are you providing a mixer?
    Finally how many bricks and blocks do you think the bricklayer will have to lay to get at a cost or you might be able to get at a cost on a square meter basis but I don't know how big your windows and doors are?

Last edited: May 18, 2015
  4. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

I'd just point out that if your capable of setting out the extension and building up to damp, then you should be able to complete the whole job, slowly but surely.