Prime and paint without sanding or stripping?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Donald Fleming, Sep 2, 2016.

1. Donald Fleming

Donald Fleming New Member

Is it possible NOT to sand or strip a previously wood stained surface, apply a good quality primer and one or two coats of paint and still achieve a reasonably good finish?

I’ve five doors that over the years have had five coats of mahogany wood stain applied.

Two coats were applied 18 years ago, and 3 coats were applied recently.

Due to bad workmanship wood stain dark patches from the first two coats show through the latest 3 coats.

I considered sanding down the doors and applying fresh coats of wood stain.

However, on tackling the first door, parts of the previous coats of wood stain started to peel off in a form that resembles cellophane. Possibly this is because the wood stain is water based.

I abandoned the sanding and began to remove the wood stain with a scraper. This took two hours to complete one side of one door.

I then tackled another door with stripper. But this only marginally cut the time in removing the wood stain.

I considered a heat gun, but an article on Google said that this would turn the wood stain to a glue-like substance.

I’m sick of wood stain and would like to go for brown paint.

So would it be feasible to skip sanding/stripping, apply a good quality primer and one or two coats of paint? Would this conceal the wood stain dark patches and achieve a reasonably good finish?

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

3. Donald Fleming

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

5. Donald Fleming

Thank you.

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

BIN is recommended for using over varnish and woodstain and has an excellent rating for this application. Cover Stain is not recommended by Zinsser over varnish and woodstain.

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

That is what I thought, but in this Zinsser leaflet, under 'Outstanding Adhesion', they say it sticks to all surfaces, glossy enamel paint, varnishes,ceramic tiles, etc.:confused:

http://www.zinsseruk.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Cover-Stain.pdf

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Look closely at your pamphlet it has a printing error, those 2 blank spaces should have those letters moved over, should read as NR, Just checked mine and says NR

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I didn't look at that section but the paragraphs on lower page,under 'Outstanding Adhesion' so two typo's.:eek::)

10. Donald Fleming

Thank you.