Primed MDF Doors

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by StructuralRuss, Jun 6, 2015.

1. StructuralRuss

StructuralRuss New Member

No doubt a stupid question: I've got some primed MDF panel doors. The texture of the primer looks similar to the texture of paint applied with a roller. So do I need to sand this smooth and touch up with mdf primer before undercoating - some advice appears to be to fill all the uneven bits?!? Surely the whole point of pre-primed is to make the job easier? I've recently done some primed mdf skirts, sanded them smooth (but all primer came off obviously) the re-primed under coated and glossed ( with dulux exposure) but took ages. I must be doing something wrong. Advice would be gratefully received. Cheers.

2. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Where were the door purchased from?

A few years a go I brought some shaker doors from Wickes which were primed, there was no need to sand down this surface, it took paint nicely.

3. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Just fitted some primed MDF skirting, painted with a one coat gloss, looks the nuts. :D

4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I used one coat satin wood, the only bit where it is a bit rough is where the panels have been beveled. My doors look like there were spray finish when primed.

5. StructuralRuss

Fulham timber I think. I've attached a photo. You can see that the primer finish is pitted everywhere. image.jpg

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You should have sent them back.

7. StructuralRuss

They don't strike me as being dodgy as they're all the same which implies that is how they are meant to be. A light sand seems to smooth them down, but takes all the primer off which sort of defeats the object. I guess nobody else has come across this...

8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Whatever...