Primer/Undercoat

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by KIAB, Sep 25, 2015.

1. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I've used it and didn't have any problems.

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I'm old school, usually use solvent, but that Leyland is a good price for 2.5ltrs & quick drying which I need indoors.

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Bought 2 x 2.5 litre cans on offer at SF...........no where near the best way too thin so in summery ...lacked opacity and poor coverage.. well I say poor ...it went a long way due to more liquid than paint. Basically you pay for what you get. Best one for opacity and coverage is Dulux Acrylic Primer Undercoat....but that's only my opinion and not forgetting 3x the price.

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Thanks Astra,opacity is important to me, as I don't want to have to apply two or three coats to get good coverage on bare wood.

Astramax likes this.
  6. Luke Redpath

Luke Redpath Member

I've used it a lot and it seemed fine to me. Opacity isn't terrible, I covered bare MDF with two coats and it looked great after two top coats of acrylic eggshell. I've also used it as a single undercoat over already painted woodwork after some basic prep prior to re-painting with eggshell.

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

1, Remember this is my living...cant be arsed with two coats when better paint covers in one....time is money
    2, Acrylic eggshell does not require an undercoat

8. Luke Redpath

Luke Redpath Member

1. Fine, but I was just posting about my experience with it. It might have covered better on something like pine rather than MDF.
    2. Manufacturer of the paint (Little Greene) disagrees - recommended primer/undercoat over old gloss finish before topcoat. My decorator also suggested the same for some old architraves we needed painting.

9. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

3x the price for one less coat I think, you pay's your money... I totally agree that I will pay big bucks for a product that saves me time, if I'm painting it there's no rush.

10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

+ drying time between coats = 1 less coat

11. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Useful before applying oil based undercoat...beefs it up a bit.

12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I don't want to have beef with you over paint, I'm not worthy, but it dries quick.