Primer

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by assingment, Sep 17, 2015.

1. assingment

assingment New Member

A customer has asked me to paint some bricks which have previously been glossed numerous times. Some paint has flaked back to the brick. I am after a primer that will help the top coat adhere to the brick. I would normally avoid this type of work but good customer. The bricks are the red bricks with a type of glaze on them. I will be scraping back as much as possible. Any advice - Thanks

2. An obvious one that comes to mind is 'stabilising solution' which is used to prime all sorts of 'concrete' surfaces. I notice that the Everbuild one has good reviews (and I like it myself), and it'll also 'prime' any existing paint that's on there ready for a further coat.

Any idea why the existing paint is flaking? Is this internal or ext?

3. assingment

assingment New Member

4. If the gloss was applied directly to the bricks, then the peeling is no great surprise.

Is he/she sure they want a gloss finish, tho'? Sounds yucky applied to a textured surface. If they could cope with matt, then masonry paint would be the obvious thing to use. And you could still start off with using stabiliser as it bonds superbly well, and will also prime the existing paint that's there.

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Everbuild 406 Stabilishing Soulution.