Priming copper pipe

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by d438a1, Jun 25, 2008.

1. d438a1

d438a1 Member

What is the best product to prime copper pipes for priming? I have some Zinnser Bin lying around - but is that more for wood/masonary based?

Thanks

2. d438a1

d438a1 Member

Oops, I meant to prime copper pipes for painting!

3. tonynoarm

tonynoarm New Member

I tend to use emulsion.

4. StinkNugget

StinkNugget Member

For copper pipes I use Special Metals Primer by International Paints :)

5. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Whatever primer you use, if its brand new copper pipe work, wipe down with white sprit first and allow to dry as it will often have a greasy coating.

6. Hants jobber

Hants jobber New Member

i always use an oil primer, use emulsion and the pipes will go green.

jimbobby likes this.
  7. tonynoarm

tonynoarm New Member

Sorry HJ emulsion does not turn the copper pipe green. It is a natural process that occurs by untreated copper being affected by the atmosphere, known as verdigris. I never have problems with emulsioning it.

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Use Hammerite "Special Metal primer".

Sorry HJ emulsion does not turn the copper pipe green. It <u>is a natural process that occurs by untreated copper being affected by the atmosphere, known as verdigris.</u>

Yeah that's right affected by the atmosphere , known as verdigris. so here we go WET atmosphere = moisture = green verdigris. No way would I use emulsion on copper.

9. tonynoarm

tonynoarm New Member

Try it AM you may be surprised. The emulsion puts a barrier between the copper and the atmosphere.

Besides, have a look at copper pipes inside the next house you decorate, and note how many of them have turned green, despite being untreated. It will not be many, if any. The only likely places are where there has been a leak or a drip.

Try putting emulsion on a pipe in your airing cupboard or behind the bath panel, and check in a few months, or even years

IWS: It Will Surprise :)

10. Pete J

Pete J Member

IWS It Will Scratch (off) don't use emulsion, you wouldn't use it on a radiator would you? metal primer all the way

Cliff Rees likes this.
  11. Pete J

Pete J Member

12. tonynoarm

tonynoarm New Member

PJ it will scratch, but a radiator is in a more prominent position. Generally pipes are not as easy to get to and are not prone to get rubbed against. Hence in such applications emulsion will be fine. But I agree, for the reason stated above, do not put on radiators.

13. jayne

jayne New Member

So... I have some large rooms and I need to paint the Skirting (hopefully gloss) quite a lot is difficult to reach as copper pipes are in front of the skirting.(I think the last owner installed heating and I think this was the quickest/cheapest way).

How should I treat the pipes? It looks way too complicated to hold all the pipes away from the skirting whilst I gloss that, so I was thinking of painting the copper pipes - all in bedrooms so they may well be hidden by furniture - any suggestions? it looks like metal primer (any particular make?) then gloss??? I'd be very grateful for any comments.

14. Andy1965

Andy1965 New Member

Whatever you do don’t use white spirit as it leaves a residue, use a degreaser like methylated spirit …

15. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Should not use BIN on hot surface as it brittle. I have but shouldn't.

Warm acrylic primer in rattle can then acrylic gloss or satin in rattle can looks great on pipes and easy to use, or bedec msp paints can go straight on copper. Make sure it's clean before you apply

16. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Wayners likes this.