Priming Drywall

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Not-a-Decor8r, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Not-a-Decor8r

Not-a-Decor8r Member

Hi,

I am currently painting my bedrooms (Done two already)

Walls are drywall with about an original layer of paint on and i've stumbled on Drywall primer while looking for other products.

The drywalls are about 20 years old and I think have been primed originally, they have a pinkish matt finish underneath where some paint has deteriorated.

Walls are pretty poor on paint coats, so would priming this with something like Dulux Trade Primer be worth the money/effort for rewards and remove bumps/paint marks of old?

Also do dulux do a 2.5 version of the Dulux Trade primer if this is the liquid to solve my wall OCD :)

Thanks

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  2. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Can't comment on the actual Dulux Primer as never used but if the walls are in poor condition with bumps, paint marks (not sure what you mean here), etc, no primer is going to be the miracal cure that you're looking for, in my opinion

If you want a good finish to your walls, and presently they're in poor condition, then there's no substitute to elbow grease and prep !

Could use heavy lining paper, 1400 upwards, still some prep required though

Post some pictures of walls as helpful

3. Not-a-Decor8r

Not-a-Decor8r Member

Cheers Dave, sound advice, i've sanded the walls down already so will just accept it and not be such a perfectionist :)

It's because im currently at the microscopic level I think of painting walls :)

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

If it's a primer you are after use Zinsser Bullseye 123. You can paint over this or also hang lining paper over it.