problem with 50/50 intergrated fridge freezer unit from wickes

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by georgia, Feb 8, 2015.

?

50/50 intergrated aeg fridge freezer doesnt fit properly in housing unit

1. kitchen

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. kitchen fitter

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. georgia

georgia New Member

hi im Georgia. I have bought a fitted kitchen from wickes. Caledonia. plastering, electrics, and gas, window, lights and ceiling have been done. started with fridge freezer unit. but I checked with wickes as they sent pr oven décor ends. 600 appl lard pack 1 and 600 appl lard pack 2. they said the oven décor ends are the same as fridge freezer tower. we put it together and first problem accured as aeg fridge freezer didn't fit properly. we found that if we pushed it back it went over the back.we then moved the 2 back feet under the fridge freezer slightly over. I don't think we should have done it as there was no information to say we should do that. but it worked. next problem is the manual says there should be a 4mm gap. but again there is much more of a gap on the sides. I just would like to know before we go any further if I have got the right housing unit as it just doesn't seem right. when we put it together we put a base and top panel in as well as a gap at bottom then shelf to put fridge freezer on and the same at the top. no back. just piece of wood that went across to hold unit together. so we also now have a gap at bottom and top. are we meant to have something to cover these 2 gaps. I would be so grateful for any advice on what to do next.thanks

2. Phew - hard to visualise what yer sayin', lass. Any chance of photos?

In general, tho' - you know these base units and tall housings have back panels, with a gap or around 50mm+ behind them? Well, for ovens and frisges and stuff, that gap needs to be open to the appliance, and also open all the way above and below the unit, right up to t'top and right down to under the base unit. The plinth should then have a vent slot or grills or summat made in it.

Hot and cold appliances need to have a free flow of air in through the plinth and up the back to the appliance and then up to above the unit top.

When you fit the bottom 'shelf' to support the appliance, this panel should go all the way from the front edge of the cabinet to the back panel - no further back, but also not stopping short. That should then be deep enough to support the oven/fridge/whatever at the front and back, whether it has legs or just sides to sit on.

Are you saying that this supporting shelf is shorter than that? If that's the case, then surely the cupboard underneath doesn't have a full-depth top to it?!

3. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

I fit plenty of wickes kitchens.
    Yes they do use oven housing sides for the f/fz unit.
    Yes the little black feet on the f/fz do fall off the base shelf - bad design.
    Yes I do undo them and move them forwards a bit.
    No, its not in the instructions. :)
    You can cut down the back to fit the gaps top and bottom.
    Make sure there is plenty of ventilation at the base and top. Maybe cut a bit of the plinth away or fit a vent.
    4mm gap on the non hinges side is about right. The gap will be about 15mm on the hinged side.
    Bloody silly design. Assuming its a 50/50 appliance it ends up way too high.

4. coops11

coops11 New Member

5. coops11

coops11 New Member

Hi Very interested in your opinion of Fridge freezer fitted into Wickes housing unit. I had this Ripley kitchen fitted by my own fitters, they had to build the up the base floor of the housing unit by 4" and then found my AEG f/f dropped over the back of the floor area so had to build another platform at the rear for back legs of f/f to stand on for support. Doors then did not match up so new holes for hinges had to be redrilled. Once all fitted I now find I can not reach the top shelf in the fridge! so pretty useless really. Wickes seem to think this is normal practice but I am a little upset about it. This has caused my fitters extra work which I had to pay above their quote, but Wickes refuse reimburse me for this. Did you mean in your comment " Bloody silly design" was for AEG f/f or Wickes unit not fitting the f/f depth and height? I agree with you ,NO instructions regarding the back legs or finished height of f/f. I would have thought the designers should know their products so warn clients of these problems, or do they just leave this to fitters to find out and fix. This is just one of the many problems I have with this Wickes Kitchen. Would appreciate any helpful comments please. Thank you.