Problem with a floorboard

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by lemonade, Mar 17, 2017.

1. The problem isn't really the floorboard. It's the fact the pipe is too high that is the real problem

2. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Oh, for heaven's sake. Mark where the pipe is, and rout out a groove in the 8" board!

3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Don't let facts get in the way. :)

CGN likes this.
  4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Does he have a router?

5. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

And they're off...again! :D

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Somehow got to now thinking the problems not the floorboard!

7. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It isn't.

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Or the pipe! :rolleyes:

9. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Perhaps you could fix it with Zinnser? :)

10. Care to explain how that actually sorts the problem?

2 months time, a kid jumps up and down in excitement on that spot and the pipe underneath gives out ?

Not sure how a cut out floorboard will help the situation. If I had been called to sort the floorboard, cutting it out to accomodate a pipe wouldn't even be an option I contemplated.

Always cure the problem first, not the issues it causes.

KIAB likes this.
  11. lemonade

lemonade Member

The problem is with both the pipe and the floorboard. If the pipe was lower than the joist I still wouldn't be able to screw down the existing floorboard due to it not wide enough.

12. lemonade

lemonade Member

Y
    I have a router but I've never used one before so I don't know what cutter I would need.

13. That I understand.

But it is no use securing the floorboard if the pipe is still too proud. Unless you can cut just enough of the floorboard away to give the pipe clearance and leave strength in the board. If you can't achieve both, then the option of thinning the floorboard is of no use, just a bodge that will resurface sooner or later, possibly with worse consequences.

Once the pipe problem is resolved you can then work out how to support and fix the board. Probably by rerouting the pipe you can have full access to proper support for the board.

14. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

Assuming you can fit a routed board over the pipe. Then lift the boards either side and fit the routed board over the pipe and make up the difference either side with narrower boards.

15. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

Ring Council.

Its their problem, not yours.

SIMPLES

16. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

For heaven's sake. 8" floorboard.

17. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

If it's just one floorboard that won't go down, then logically, the pipe is low enough either side of this board. Just notch out the Problem joist to allow pipe to go down, wrap a bit of hair felt around them, then put the board back down. They don't have to be fixed right at the edge.