Problem With Bath Seal.

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Ro55_Th0ms0n, May 31, 2015.

1. Ro55_Th0ms0n

Ro55_Th0ms0n Member

I recently had a bathroom retile, and of course in the process the bath tub was resealed with silicone. All looked great, and the bath was filled with water when it was sealed. However when I sit in the bath the tub pulls away from the seal and there is a visible gap between the tub and the seal. This happened originally prior to the retile, what is causing this persistent problem and how do I fix it?

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

How good is the floor on which the bath is fixed to.

You need good support where the feet, usually you laid an addtional piece length of wood something like 4x2 or wider under the feet to spread the loading.

Last edited: May 31, 2015
  3. Ro55_Th0ms0n

Ro55_Th0ms0n Member

Im not really sure if I'm 100% honest, standard pine floorboards on second floor, been down for about 30 years probably, so average at best id say.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

5. Ro55_Th0ms0n

Ro55_Th0ms0n Member

Yeah I'm sure he has done that, i did see wood under the bath feet before it was tiled in :S

6. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Is your bath fixed to the wall properly too? There are usually brackets to keep it pulled in tight to the wall or a batten for the lip of the bath to rest on. The edge of the bath is siliconed to the wall at this stage too which also helps keep it tight and provides another seal.

Check to see if the brackets are loose in the wall. You may have to re drill and plug, PITA, but can be done, just easier when first fitting bath! If this is the case, try and get some silicon behind the lip of the bath before tightening back up.

As Kiab has said, get some solid wood under the feet if you can, 18mm ply will be fine if you can't wind the feet up too much.

7. seen it all before

seen it all before Active Member

When fitting a bath I rest the bath on batons on all sides where the bath is touching a wall, with the batons fixed securely to the wall, then when placing the bath on to them mass silicone in place and it should never move again.

CGN and FatHands like this.
  8. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Yep, best way to do it. Just fitted a steel bath in a renter like that using a bath from screwfix. Good quality bath for money.

Actually, top tip is to level up and fix all your battens(I usually use 2x1 roofing lath), silicon, then drop your bath on then just adjust feet down to floor as the bath is already set perfectly level. Saves time and will never shift!

seen it all before likes this.
  9. Ro55_Th0ms0n

Ro55_Th0ms0n Member

I don't think there is brakets or batons holding it to the wall. the bath is tiled in, so theres a framing round 2 sides of it with plasterboard then tiles, the area where is coming away would be the corner where there is no frame/brackets, so that would explain it .... so to resolve I'm gonna have to get the bath untiled, just my luck.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  10. rd1

rd1 Member

Ross
    I am still not sure whether the bath 'drops' when you are in it or it 'moves away from the wall', the solution for each could be different. I assume although you do not say, that the tiles do not go down below the bath ?

I am not a plumber but have you taken the bath panel off your bath and looked to see what the problem might be? You may be lucky and find one of the problems identified above such as a loose bracket or loose foot and it is simply fixed rather than go straight to the worst case and take the tiles off which will obviously be a lot more expensive.

If the bath is dropping then simply tightening the feet might help take up the movement and force the bath up to the seal. You might also consider measuring the distance from the underside of the bath lip to the floor and providing a supporting frame. You could use packing wedges to tighten the frame up and which should provide further support around the bath from underneath. If this is OK then you will need to do that around the two wall edges so the weight is carried correctly and don't forget to tighten the feet again.
    If the bath is moving away from the wall you may well be able to loosen the feet and drop the bath away from the tiles thereby avoiding the removal of the tiles. You will of course have to disconnect the taps and waste but hopefully you will be able to move the bath out and fix the battens or fixings you need. Silicon as recommended above, slide the bath back in, adjust the feet again and all should be sorted.
    Good luck and hope you manage to fix it.

11. Ro55_Th0ms0n

Ro55_Th0ms0n Member

it appears to me that its dropping, as the gap is only visible when I'm in it. The tiles don't go down past the bath. I can't simply remove a bath panel though there aren't any, the tiles are on plasterboard, only way to see what is happening would be to remove the tiles sadly :(