Problem with Mira Go 9.5kw shower instalation

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Mr Wabbit, Apr 5, 2014.

1. Mr Wabbit

Mr Wabbit New Member

Hello,
    I have just fitted 2 x Mira Go 9.5kw showers in my house and I have the same fault/problem with both of them.
    Switching on the main pull cord double pole switch the neon light around the shower on/off switch lights up as it should, but when I press the on/off switch to “on” nothing happens, no water comes out? The only thing that happens is the neon light on the main pull cord switch goes out? When the shower on/off switch is switched "off" the neon on the main pull cord switch comes back on, still no water.
    I've checked the wiring inside the shower units and that the stop valves are open on the water feeds.
    Please can anyone help with this problem, it’s really weird.
    Thanks,
    Steve.

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

How have you wired the pull cord switch.

3. Mr Wabbit

Mr Wabbit New Member

Hi Phil,
    Thanks for your reply, I double checked the pull cords "just to be sure" and they were ok.
    I did however find the fault with a bit more investigation so for the benefit of anyone else who may get the same issue.
    The fault was a basic error on my part, approx a year ago I fitted an additional small CU with RCD & MCB's for both showers, I had connected the RCD neutral to one con-bar and the two shower/pull cord cable neutrals to the other con-bar, but what i had'nt done was strap the two con-bars together "Doh!" I think my mobile must have gone off or something.
    Anyway a bit of a silly error but quickly fixed................Once I found it!
    Cheers,
    Steve.

4. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

Hi,

2, 9.5K in your house? What supply have you got coming in then?

5. Mr Wabbit

Mr Wabbit New Member

Hi,
    Thanks for bringing this "2x showers in one house " issue to my attension.
    I've checked the incoming supply and as far as I can see the generating boards main fuse is 100A.
    I've read loads of varrious forums about this now on the web and there are all sorts of opinions about this, ie overloading.
    I can understand the theory of probability that how unlikely is it that both showers would be used at once whilst the elec oven and kettle are on at the same time, but it is possible.
    That theory aside the figures don't add up so I'm looking at installing a shower priority switch for peace of mind, thier not cheap though are they.
    I would however appreciate any futher ideas/advice or alternative solutions that you or anyone would be willing to offer.
    Thanks again,
    Steve.

6. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

you also have to consider the water supply required to keep two high Kw showers supplied at a rate that would keep the user happy

what type of boiler do you have ? - it's a little late now but was there an option to have one fed from your DHW supply ?

Garo do some fairly inexpensive but very reliable priority switches

7. Mr Wabbit

Mr Wabbit New Member

Hi
    Yes, water supply issue, I'm thinking this won't be a problem if I fit a priority switch, hopefully this will be the case.
    I've just had a new Worcester Bosch 29cdi combi fitted, not sure if a shower can run off these, anyway your right about it being a bit too late, I'm all tiled up and have laid perminent waterproof flooring down in both rooms :0( never mind.

Is Garo the only manufacturer of priority switches, I'm struggling to find any alternative makes and I only seem to be able to find one retailer up to now which is Meteor Electrical, I tried eBay and nothing showed up which I could'nt believe.