Problem with new Evolution Rage3 210mm

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Wehandy, Mar 31, 2017.

1. Wehandy

Wehandy New Member

Hi there Trade mates

I just bought this machine 2 days ago and once I started to use it I realized the cut level is not straight

You can feel a free little movement on the base so the cut is never straight.

I know is not normal so my question is, shall I get another machine or I was unlucky?

Thank you

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

3. Wehandy

Wehandy New Member

Thanks

The blade is ok it's just the base, you put it at 0 degrees and you can feel a slightly movement.

The mitre saw you are suggesting is more than double price.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

A around a hundred quid more, go through Quidco,Topcashback will bring that figure down.
    But,for quailty, reliability, the Bosch can't be beaten, plus using a 216mm blade there a 64 tooth available, gives a lovely fine cut, with 210mm blade your limited to about 40 tooth blade.

5. Paulie1412

Paulie1412 Active Member

Best value saw is metabo kgm216, if you shop around you can find it for £150

6. Paulie1412

Paulie1412 Active Member

But I agree about the blade choice

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

But, the Metabo KGM 216M only has a cutting Capacity (45°/45°): 205 x 36 mm, compared to the Bosch Cutting capacity, 45° mitre: 70 x 190 mm.

So, not much use if you need to cut 4x2 @ 45°with the Metabo.

8. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

I've got several saws and ones the rage saw. I've never had any issues with the machine but it's more if a rough cut saw rather than precision work so I suppose it depends what your after and your budget. Not had an issue with the guard as if of yet tho but the machines 3 years old so could be an older model to the ones with the issues

Paulie1412 likes this.
  9. Paulie1412

Paulie1412 Active Member

At 45/45 the metabo does cut 36x205 but the Bosch doesn't cut 70x190 its 45x170 but for the extra money it doesn't make it the better value saw, I have the metabo which I use for general site work but I also have the Bosch gcm12 for in the workshop.
    The metabo cuts 8inch compounds the Bosch won't even cut 7

10. Paulie1412

Paulie1412 Active Member

Kinda depends which way you cut your mitre

11. Wehandy

Wehandy New Member

I am going to use it for some DIY and Flooring, I am not carpenter but I love carpentry.

So my budget is limited as I do not want to invest a high amount of money for some works from time to time

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I quoted figures direct from Bosch site here: https://shop.bosch-professional.com/gb/en/product/sliding-mitre-saw-gcm-800-sj--30919

13. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

Spend some money and buy a decent saw and blade. You'll only wish you had when you come to do those larger or more precise cuts

Joe95, KIAB and Wehandy like this.
  14. Paulie1412

Paulie1412 Active Member

70x190 is 45 mitre on Bosch
    60x205 is 45 mitre on metabo
    45x170 is 45incline cut on Bosch
    36x205 is 45incline cut on metabo

So metabo will cut 4x2, it will even cut 8x2 Bosch wont

15. Paulie1412

Paulie1412 Active Member

Probably the most useful advice so far

Wehandy likes this.
  16. Wehandy

Wehandy New Member

17. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Wehandy likes this.
  18. Paulie1412

Paulie1412 Active Member

That be the one, power tool world have it for £153 plus as Kiab suggested if you use a money back website site it's slightly cheaper still (TopCashback back are doing 4.25% at the moment)

19. Wehandy

Wehandy New Member

I've never used a website like that one, I will have a look.

I'm really impressed that nobody recommended dewalt or makita.

Thank you guys

20. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

The evolution saws are what they are. They fulfil a role and price point and if you spend a few minutes tweaking then they're not too bad at all. Buy a 25.4mm reduction ring then fit a decent blade and for the majority of first and 2nd fix you'll be happy enough. If you're doing a lot of high end 2nd fix and kitchens then it's definitely not the saw to buy but all depends on useage and budget.

Joe95 and Wehandy like this.