Project Replace Downstairs Pipework.

Discussion in 'Project Photos' started by Joe95, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Finally got round to starting some of the downstairs plumbing. I had the afternoon off today so I got a reasonable chunk done.

Don't expect any nice swept bends - I've lost the former's for the pipe bender:(.

Existing Under Hall Pipework

Firstly, this has to change. The pipe supplying the house (the one that goes through the wall) goes along a wall that'll be knocked out during the extension.

Here is the wall where the incoming water goes to the stopcock. In the far right hand corner at the back, the mains comes in - 22mm. Closer to the center is the 22mm pipe coming back down after the stopcock. Then the 15mm pipe closest to the camera with the lighter grey insulation is a rad leg.

IMG_8558.JPG
    Altered Under Hall Pipework

First was to run some 15mm for the hot tap in the toilet - it still isn't connected yet:oops:.
    I used a copper push fit coupler here, from our hosts. I avoided soldering for the simple reason it's a rats nest of cables and I wanted to leave the pipe insulation on.

Then was to run a new 22mm pipe to supply the house. I have left the end of this disconnected - the rest of the pipework hasn't been finished yet.

IMG_8616.JPG

Push fit piece: Just for you Kiab!:p

IMG_8563 (3).JPG

Existing Under Kitchen Pipework

That lowest pipe is the pipe that comes through the wall at the back (the one shown at the top of this thread). Where it 'tees' off it feeds upstairs. All this needs moving to the opposite wall.

IMG_8098.JPG

This is the wall it needs moving too:

IMG_8107.JPG

The 'riser' corner - right next the gas meter:oops:.

IMG_8109.JPG

Altered Under Kitchen Pipework

IMG_8594 (2).JPG
    Now we're getting somewhere!

The lowest pipe (the black one) is gas - I won't be touching that!

The bottom copper pipe is the cold mains. It comes to the first lever valve, which will also be full house isolation - except the downstairs toilet cold feed. The second one (that comes off the tee) is the isolation for upstairs. The rightmost one will feed the kitchen sink and appliances, for now I need to create a temporary feed back to the kitchen - hence the flexi on 15mm pipe.

The pipe on top is the hot feed from the tank. There's one full isolation valve, and two 'screw head' valves to isolate the toilet tap on the left, and the kitchen tap on the right. I used a full bore on the kitchen as I'm not sure what tap we'll get and if we will have any additional HW feeds.

And another just for you Kiab! Here's where the hot feed pipe comes down, and joins onto the new piece that feeds the HW valve. I didn't fancy soldering here - both the bent pipe and the iron pipe are gas.

IMG_8596.JPG

I'm sure I'm too close to the meter here, but too bad!

IMG_8591 (2).JPG

What's left?

IMG_8592.JPG
    Lots of insulation and pipe!

I still have to replace the heating F&R, as well as finish off the cold pipework. The hot pipe is now up and running with no leaks:).

That insulation is the stuff from our hosts, they sell 45 packs of them, which is incredibly handy. There's another 45 pack of 15mm insulation in the garage.

I'll be carrying on Saturday afternoon, I've only got two dish installs booked on sat - shouldn't take too long.

2. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

I forgot one!

Here's where the pipework runs further down that wall:.
    IMG_8589 (2).JPG

And you can see the second reason I want to replace the downstairs heating pipework, look at that mess! It's spaghetti junction under a rad!

3. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Pulled bends,buy a new former!!! Insulation can also be mitred on a tee as well. Cut a vee in the ends, and a vee out of the edge of the pipe ur branching off of.

4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I haven't done any plumbing jobs this year, just taken a radiator off today.

I always though the colour handles on the lever valves indicated the service, i.e yellow for gas, blue for water etc.

but know suppliers just sell them without indication. Even though they I think they are the same valves.

5. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Must be a nightmare working in the cellar with low light level.

6. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

I normally use a label printer on the valve handles - the yellow is mostly covered then.

There's two fluorescents in the deeper parts of the cellar, and I normally use a halogen if I am working on something I need to see. The door is on the outside wall of the kitchen, so it isn't too bad during the day. Those 100w bulbs don't make a dent compared to the fluorescents.

Biggest issue is the heat, with the halogen and torch being used it gets hot quickly.

7. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I ended up getting an LED site light last year. Did have the rechargebale one but can't run it off the plug as starts flashing, handy but runs out quite quickly.

They give out much better light than the halogen ones.

Joe95 likes this.
  8. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

I saw a guy on YouTube who calls the formers 'foxes'. He regularly misplaces them so says "Where the fox that gone?"

9. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

I modified my old Milwaukee work lights by fitting LED bulbs which were rated for 10-30 volts (had to solder in a bypass to part of the switch). I further modified the battery mounting by removing the lug restrictors on them so that they will run on anything from my 12v to my 24v Nicad batteries. They last for ages and ages on the bigger batteries and are really stable (but heavy). It only cost a few quid and they're more convenient than my LED work light and better by far than the halogens.

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Halogen work lights are old fashion nowadays can't beat the LED version,got a couple of the 20w versions,lovely bright white light & cool running & I picked up a tripod stand for the lights at a reduce price in SF.

11. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

LED technology has leaped forward over the last few years. I use one of these for area lighting and a year on I am still impressed by its performance for the price. Some really nice ones available from Bosch and Milwaukee
    upload_2017-4-22_10-35-15.png

KIAB likes this.
  12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

13. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

It does get expensive replacing kit now and then but £77 is not a bad price for something like that.

14. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Didn't get any plumbing done today, I took out the back half of the garage instead. Cut the roof out, then took the single skin wall down to DPC level, the kitchen back door steps out and the second layer of render. Now you can see the cellar door, nice large one too.

Before:

IMG_8286(2).jpg

And After:

IMG_8667(2).jpg
    IMG_8661(2).jpg

That grey soil pipe is the toilet vent and the pipe is the basin outlet.

This part of the property is incredibly run down. Door rotten away, a poorly laid screed as paving and the garage door had missing panes when we moved in. Happy to destroy it further.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  15. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Regards lighting, I have the 10W rechargeable LED light from our hosts, which is unbelievably useful. The downside to it is it only lasts about three hours.

I have a bunch of halogen site lights, and until they break, I don't want to bother replacing them. The bulbs are cheap as chips and they are solid little lights.

Perhaps the end of this year I'll throw all the halogens and go fully LED.

16. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Looks like the levels have changed a bit at the back of the house. The lintel archway for the basement door way is a lot higher than the "newer" concrete one. Some interesting bonds on the brickwork

17. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

The neighbour on the side of the adjoining garage has been here over 30 years - he's told me about most of the 'modifications' that have been made. The original cellar door would have been opened into the back of a kitchen cupboard, and there was a tiled roof originally. The previous owners took the kitchen walls up to a felt roof. I've worked in some of the houses on our road with the original kitchens, they are very small.

Where the timber side door is there was also a window that was covered by the garage wall that steps out. Seems like an afterthought, but that's also been 'removed' at some point.

Where the window used to be is where the RSJ will sit. I think I will have to rebuild that part of the wall.

IMG_8672.PNG

18. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Always interesting trying to read the history of an old building

19. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Where you gonna store all your tools now the garage is down Joe? Bet the missus is happy tripping over the drill cases in the hallway :)

The best light I've seen for all the boxes ticked (except current price) is from eurocarparts. Google Toptech LED folding bonnet work light. My old man picked me one up a couple of years ago for £35, on offer down from £70. Currently priced at £116(!!!) It's fantastic though, folds out twice it's size and has spring loaded telescopic arms that snap back tight to grip whatever area.

I've done a lot of first fixing carpentry on building sites in pitch black wintertime, clip that light to the joists above and the entire floor is illuminated. You may source similar cheaper, but I'm just going by what I know. My other light is a dewalt nicad handheld lamp that is decent for small areas, but not a patch on the toptech.

20. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

I'll be building a large wardrobe style cabinet in what was the garage for most of my tools. It serves two purposes, its more secure and the wife can't complain theres tools everywhere. I empty the van daily anyway, so there's always been boxes spread across the hallway:D:oops:.

Ta for the work light reccomendation - I've found great smaller LED lights, but not ones that flood a room yet.