Project

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by unphased, Apr 12, 2014.

1. Would earth rods in t'ground work like any other resistor? Ie - stick one in and get a 160ohm reading. Stick two in and that should halve. Stick 3 and third, etc?

2. wally

wally Screwfix Select

3. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

You woud still need to RCD protect the submain, as I said, with a 100 or 300mA time delay. RCBO at 30mA ony for circuits that require it.

4. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Yes UP, you do require an rcd for the swa submain as it's TT. (i'm sure you know that though!)

FatHands likes this.
  5. Caddy

Caddy Active Member

As lectrician said 160 ohms is fine, Maybe bang in another rod near the location of the original and link them, then 100mA TD on the submain or 300ma. If the Bedroom / Kitchen conversion is going to be rented or used a separate dwelling then I would consider having it on its own rod if not then nothing wrong with having the whole system on the existing rods, either way you will definitely need the submain on a 100ma TD minimum

FatHands likes this.
  6. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

Hi Lec,
    Do you mind explaining the bit in bold?

Thanks
    Fats (likes learning)

7. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

I'm assuming that driving in at an angle would allow more rod length to driven in before it hits the bedrock - as the ground tends to get much harder to penetrate the deeper you go

as with founds

FatHands likes this.
  8. Biochef

Biochef Member

Dig a large pit and use copper plates with large surface area .
    I've used an old copper water tank cut in half and splayed and layed flat with inside of tank facing up to retain water when it rains that way it's got better chance to give you a good earth

FatHands likes this.
  9. FatHands

ah, got it!
    Thanks Sean!

10. FatHands

I used to do a lot of classic car MIG welding and there was a copper spray which was used to improve connectivity and applied on the treated steel before welding. I wonder if such an item exists to help in this case?

Cheers
    Fats

11. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

don't take that as gospel, that's just my assumption, Lec might have a far more rational explanation

FatHands likes this.
  12. Lectrician

I find you get a better cross section of soil type, rather than going deep. More likely to find something suitable at an angle.

FatHands likes this.
  13. FatHands

got it, thanks for posting back Lec.
    appreciate your ongoing support.
    best
    fats

14. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

I beg to differ Lec. Straight down or at an angle - the depth is the same speaking on a relative basis (ie 2ft in at an angle, or 2 ft down - the rod still goes into terra firma the same amount). The chances of hitting soil with an appreciable composition differential when driving at an angle instead of going straight down - is very remote indeed. That's my opinion anyway..:)

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  15. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

All you have got to do is get the rod in as far as possible and stick bentonite round it - and then next to the rod dig a trench/hole and sling in a flattened DHW copper cylinder (like that chap suggested) after of course solidly connecting said to a piece of 16mm which also goes onto t'earth rod. Before filling the hole wet everything down, and keep wetting t'backfill. Ra will be the bees knees..:)

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

16. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

But how long for JP? it will dry out eventually!

17. Lectrician

Pfft JP. Really. Benefit of experience is a great thing.

18. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

19. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

20. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select