Projection Hinge for external use

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by TheGrovesy, Oct 11, 2016.

Tags:
  1. TheGrovesy

TheGrovesy Member

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

3. TheGrovesy

TheGrovesy Member

But are either suitable for external use?

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Bright zinc won't rust like plain steel hinges, some stainless steel will rust, depending on the door & it's purpose I would prefer projection hinges or some heavy butt hinges,

5. TheGrovesy

TheGrovesy Member

Its for an external timber door that I will be making to match the rest of the workshop. So it will probably be reasonably heavy.

While i'm on the subject. Does anyone know if you can buy multi point locking systems to screw into timber doors?

6. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

I have used the Screwfix / Eclipse Parliament hinges on my Shed/Workshop/Sauna/... they have been on for three or four years and no sign of rust. They are supplied with Stainless screws too.

Yes, you can buy multipoint systems for timber doors - Assa Abloy Fix ranges do a search for Espagnolettes. I had several sets supplied some pairs and some singles - one made from a kit to get work started and the remaining 8 made to measure.

7. TheGrovesy

TheGrovesy Member

Many thanks for sharing your experience using the parliament hinges outside, think Ill go for them.

Assa Abloy look good too. Thanks again.

8. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Get the cheaper one - the one on clearance! Unlikely to be any difference and that is the one I have.

One piece of advice - the screws are stainless too and that means they are soft. So, drill a pilot hole and then fit normal woodscrews, maybe 0.5mm smaller in diameter, until you are happy then change them over. And ensure you use the correct screwdriver tip - mine were Philips not Pozi. Use the wrong one and you can chew up the heads.

9. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select