Promax 24HE End of life?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by IIABDFI, Apr 23, 2016.

1. IIABDFI

IIABDFI Member

Our Promax 24HE boiler has started to go into a dead state every fews day. A reset will get it going again but we are increasingly finding the house cold and need to reset...

Is this worth repairing? It's around 16yrs? old?

Also, Do boilers come in standard sizes (with respect to inlet/outlets?) is there a new model we could chose that would make the swap easy?

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Not worth wasting money on repairs, it's had a good life.

Unlikely the flue hole will be in right place, but you might be lucky, all depends on new boiler hanging frame & how it matches up with exsisting pipework, which might need extending/shortening

Look at Valliant,7 year warrenty, plus there is their Vaillant vSMART app, works with Android or Apple, allowing you to control your heating from your phone.:)

http://www.vaillant.co.uk/homeowners/products/vsmart/index.en_gb.html

How many bathrooms,any mains showers,not electric ones.
    Depending on your mains pressure, a higher output boiler will give you a higher hot water flow.

3. kiaora

kiaora Guest

Hi good advice!

Regards
    Peter

4. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

if a system or heat-only boiler heats a storage cylinder of any kind then boiler output is not quite so important as with a combi.

diymostthings

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

It's still a combi, like Valliant 832

Vaillant's gives a 10-year guarantee on their boilers (when fitted with an accredited installer), only valid if serviced annually by a Gas Safe Registered engineer

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
  6. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Of course it is, if anything its more important. You cant put a 14kw boiler in a house with 10 rads and a cylinder, it just wont cope. There is a formula for working out boiler size needed to a specific property.

KIAB likes this.
  7. Dave does Gas

Theve changed it to 7 year with the option to purchase an extension up to 10 years as of last month,

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Shows how much I know or keep up to date with things.:rolleyes:

Dave: Is it then still worth buying the extra 3 year warrenty? or better off looking elsewhere for boiler cover.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
  9. Dave does Gas

To my mind seven years is a good period, its an additional £180.00 for the full ten and decreasing value for less.
    My own boiler is out of warranty so why worry. Im personally very sceptical about these boiler cover schemes as the people offering them are only there to make money at the end of the day.

KIAB likes this.
  10. IIABDFI

IIABDFI Member

It's a 1930s semi, 3 bed rooms but has a loft extension and a kitchen extention. So 4 bedrooms, lounge and kitchen area (and a rad in hall). The system is not a combination boiler, we have a traditional HW tank in the loft, near to a 3-way valve and above header tank etc. (ie. open vented) (the HW tank etc got moved up into the loft when we extended to make more space in the bathroom). Incidentally the Promax 24HE has always run the CH very hot, the top plastic bit of the Drayton TRVs on the rads have been replaced over time which I think might be premature aging due to the temperature. Oh... and we have a bath on the 1st floor and a pumped power shower in the loft bathroom.

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Rip it all out, fit a Valliant 832 or maybe 835, which has a higher HW flow & output, compared 832

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  12. IIABDFI

IIABDFI Member

So convert to a combi? I'll have to check the cubboard internal dimensions since I assume a combi would be bigger? The current one is inside a kitchen wall cabinent. I know there is some room at the bottom but not sure about width and depth. 720x440x338 sounds like it is pushing it as the current is 600(+flue)x390x320.

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  14. IIABDFI

IIABDFI Member

Yes. I'm liking the sound of those benefits as our existing cold water tank is a bit small and can run dry if multiple baths take place... possibly lack of water pressure slowing down the refill.
    Indeed the current power shower comes off the cold water tank which is pretty much as the same level as the shower head and the top of the HW cylinder which is just about a metre lower. These route via some expensive Stuart Turner dual pump gadget which I remember spending my £££ on.
    So how do people with lofts and combi boilers have showers in their lofts? Do you just need good water pressure even at height?

15. IIABDFI

IIABDFI Member

Looks like the simplest option is to swap for a non-system boiler?
    I measured the cupboard, it's small. 355D 365W 885H, but is partially chopped out on one side so fits in the existing 625H 405W 320D boiler.

Looks like I am looking for a relatively compact boiler for an Open Vented system to avoid changes to the shower.

16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Look at Valliant Ecotec 438 (38Kw),size 375 x 600 x 316,it has 5 year warrenty, not sure if the 7 year warrenty applies to it, if fitted by Valliant approved fitter.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  17. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

18. IIABDFI

IIABDFI Member

Thanks very much for all your helpful suggestions. I'll go out seeking quotes now.

19. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

There is a smaller output Valliant Ecotec 430, but with you having 4 beds,plus extensions & bath, power shower, the 438 is better suited for your needs.
    And it might be also a good time to install a larger cold water tank at the same time.

20. IIABDFI

IIABDFI Member

Physical constraints make that tricky, I'll have a look at the possibilities. I think the actual issue is water pressure, hence refill rate, to just this property, probably needs the aged pipe in the front garden replacing, I know next door has much higher pressure than our house.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016