Pros and cons of solvent weld

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Bendy, Jul 12, 2014.

1. Bendy

Bendy New Member

I have a new bathroom project with the challenge of limited access to where the piping needs to go. Compared to copper, the flexibility of plastic piping would make this project much easier, but I'm not happy with the idea of push-fit connections because I want these to work 100% leak-free potentially for several decades. The choice seems to be copper compression fittings on plastic pipe, or solvent weld fittings. I've read about solvent weld, but I can't find any of the usual DIY shops selling them in the UK for 15mm piping mains water pressure.

Does anyone have experience of solvent weld pipe connections for mains pressure plumbing, especially at 15mm bore, in the UK? Where can I find the correct pipe material, fittings, solvent etc?

2. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

last seen in this country circa 1970 - there's probably still lots of it installed

have you been looking at US sites or is this some new retro system ?

3. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

it was tried out anf failed, mainly due to the pipe becoming brittle, go for plastic pushfit Hep20 ALL new houses use plastic now so you can use it with confidence is fitted correctly, the only drawback with plastic is, its clumsy and can't be made to look neat on the surface, so use copper where its showing,

4. Bendy, as a straight comparison, I think I'd rather rely on plastic push-fits over brass compression any time. Including decades.

A few basic things to be aware of with push-fits, but can be trusted if you follow them basik rools.

Last time I did plumbing, I found that a 'rotary' pipe cutter (one of them wot you spin around the pipe tightening it a wee bitty more each time) worked really well on the plastic pipe and had the HUGE advantage of leaving the edges nicely rounded.

'Ronically, the 'pipe shears' often sold for plastic pipe makes a bit of a mash-up of the ends - leaves it slightly flattened and sharp-edged.

But, yes, for visual piping use copper. And the above rule especially applies - make sure the copper pipe end is neatly rounded and smooth before insertion into a plastic fitting.

5. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

good points as ever by Mr Devs I would like to add the plastic cutters are recommended by the manufactures, the flattening of the pipe is righted when you insert the insert, which is also recommended by the manufacturer, yes you can use the cutters as described by Mr DEvs and they work well but if we are following rules here, :rolleyes:

6. True, true, and these 'slicers' are very quick to use. But I hate the sharp edge they do leave, tho' it obviously shouldn't be an issue for the fitting's O ring.

But, for a DIYer, if you need just one type of cutter for all yer pipes, get a 'roundy' one...

7. Supra

Supra Member

The plastic pipe and fittings are good, just make sure you assemble them correctly. The pipe snips are great if you buy decent quality ones, I haven't noticed any sharp edges.;)

The fittings are bulky and I just use plastic where the pipe work is hidden, not ideal if you want to fit pipe insulation with the bulky fittings.

8. Supra

Supra Member

I don't think there's a pipe cutter that's suitable for both copper and plastic pipe.

The type for copper pipe with the cutting wheel has rollers and I wouldn't risk them damaging the outside of a plastic pipe when you're relying on rubber "O" rings in the fittings to give you a good seal.

9. Fair do's, Supra, but I'm chust going by my personal experience.

I've used the recommended 'shears' on Bartol Acorn pipe many a time and it obviously worked fine. However, I just didn't like the slightly squashed ends which made it that teeny weeny bit more awkward to push in the support sleeve, and I especially didn't like the sharp edge created on the far side as the blade came through. Ok, that 'sharp edge' never caused any damage to the fitting's O ring, but having since used a 'normal' cutter with complete success on plastic pipe (no damage from the rollers), that would be my personal preference from now on.

Obviously I would expect a pro to have all types of cutters for all types of pipe :). For a DIYer like me - and the OP - I know what single type I'd recommend he gets.

10. Supra

Supra Member

I like buying tools, I'm also a DIYer. ;)

11. Ditto. But I'd still use a rotary cutter on my plastic pipes... :p

12. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

What type of rotary cutter do you use. ??

An adjustable one like this
    pipecutter.jpg

Or a palm one like this

Pipe Cutting.jpg

13. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

if you like buying tools go for the pipe slices ( palm cutters) cos you need one for every size, but they are handy for cutting in tight spaces and pipes in situ, the red un will cut 10mm ,15mm,22mm and some will go to 28mm but you can't cut in situ ,

14. The first type, but a decent make.

15. plumberboy

plumberboy Well-Known Member

And the red one has a deburrer that no one ever uses,except for elephantman I would imagine.:D

Phil the Paver likes this.
  16. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

ha ha i bet he wonders what its for, I can almost hear him googling deburrer, :)

17. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Tom, you mean that's not for cleaning under your nails.:)

18. plumberboy

Trunky could use it to clean out the sh#t between his ears.

Phil the Paver likes this.
  19. I always deburr.

My pipes too.

20. plumberboy

Your just so honest DA.:)