Protect fence from flowerbed

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by action711, Feb 2, 2014.

1. action711

action711 New Member

I have a standard fence and concrete posts running down the length of my garden. I'm about to replace the fence panels.

Next to the fence I have a narrow strip of gravelled area, about 700mm wide, and then the path. I'd like to build a raised flowerbed where the gravelled area is, with either a stone or timber wall along the front. Probably only about 200-250mm high

My question is, what material is best to run along the back of the flowerbed to stop the soil rotting the new fence panels? Will plastic sheeting do? If so, how to find something for that usage? Or do I need something stronger?

Thanks for reading. All comments welcome.

Attached Files:

2. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Why build it with only one wall at the front? Another wall at the back (near the fence) should protect the fence. ;);)

3. action711

action711 New Member

The area's not really wide enough for another row of stone/brick, plus I'm sure I can achieve this without building 2 walls, plus the extra cost and hassle involved steers me away from another wall...

4. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

the trouble with plastic is how are you going to support it, it's no good fixing it to the panels, the weight of the soil will cause them to bow out in the middle.

The best option would be 1' high concrete gravel boards fitted under the fence panels, this would mean either fitting new panels or cutting down the existing ones.

5. action711

action711 New Member

Ah, I have some 44x44 paving slabs. I could dig them vertically into the earth by the fence and create a barrier like that.

Can't see myself using the gravel boards as the neighbour and I have already bought the new fence panels, and the posts are only so high. Thanks for the suggestion.