Protecting rough sawn timber used in the garden

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by diymostthings, Oct 14, 2016.

1. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

Hi - I have acquired some 7" x 2" lengths of timber and Mrs DIY wants me to make some raised flower beds with it. Can anyone suggest the best form of protection inside (to protect against the wet earth) and outside (to keep the appearance of the wood - although rough sawn it has a nice light pine appearance).

Thank you

diymostthings

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

FatHands likes this.
  3. diymostthings

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Read their spec sheet first before deciding &have planter a few inches off the ground, & a few drainage holes in bottom, if decent size you should be able to paint the inside of them with blackjack, & maybebe surrounding underside area.

With regards to the Blackjack, many years ago I paint some timber posts with the stuff & allowed to dry before posts were concrete in,neigbour did their fence same time, some 10 years later my posts where still there, whereas neigbours fence posts had been replaced a few years earlier.

5. diymostthings

Yes I will look up the destructions. Looks like I need look no further. Thanks again.

6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Any chance of that stuff contaminating the soil for growing?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

7. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

for that kind of thing I use 1000 gauge dpm to line the inside of the box

FatHands likes this.
  8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

After sealing inside of planter you could still you dpm to make a liner, or be a smart *** & buy plastic planter liners & make your planters to fit them.