Protek Rcd/Mcb

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by partpee, Jun 22, 2016.

1. partpee

partpee Member

I need to replace some rcd's and mcb's in a Protek board, and im having difficulty in finding some.
    Would anyone know if any other brands fit...

Ta.

2. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

Be prepared to be quoted a million and one regulations why you cant fit a different make MCB. Personally I found Protek to be awful and would look at changing the whole board.

3. TP&N

TP&N Active Member

Protecs HQ address and tel no

Phoenix House/Phoenix Rd, Cannock WS11 7LR
    Phone:070 9330 1630

the website addy

http://www.protekuk.co.uk/

4. TP&N

TP&N Active Member

I agree they aint the best out there but i've used a lot of there 3 phase gear simply because the price is right and there located a few mile away plus cant fault the service.

5. partpee

partpee Member

Yes there terrible, but i need to replace one - so a new cu quote isn't really a possibility!

6. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

I have seen protek boards with lap mcb's and BG rcds in them. Right box of liquorice all sorts!!

7. tina lucinda lane

tina lucinda lane Screwfix Select

does brand really matter any more its almost all the same **** made in a sweetshop in timbuktwo (like most things now) so why do brands still inst on difference?

Neveryoumind likes this.
  8. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

OP
    I might have some in the garage...
    how desperate are you..........
    which other makes will interchange(anyone ?)
    RS

9. Neveryoumind

Neveryoumind Active Member

Agreed, if it fits without modification lash it in. A safe bet is usually Hager, they fit almost all boards

10. tina lucinda lane

11. tina lucinda lane

12. partpee

partpee Member

I managed to shoehorn one in thing it was pro-elec!?

Equally as bad as protek...

13. tina lucinda lane

if the shoe fits and all that and suppose so long as heat is disapated busbar not bent etc

14. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

Sometimes you have to put in something that fits even though it's a different make as long as it's A) a secure fit onto the rail and busbar and B) the correct kA rating and current rating for the circuit then you're good to go.It happens fairly regularly in industry,imagine you have a 12 way 3P board (36 single phase ways) and you need to fit a 6A sp mcb,but the board is obsolete,most companies are not going to want to replace a full board just for one mcb,the shutdown costs alone could be prohibitive,no you find a breaker that fits.Ok you can pick up secondhand ones on Ebay and a few other places but you don't know the history,will it trip when you need it? There was a time when certain manufacturers would actually tell you which other makers breakers would fit in one of their boards.

FatHands likes this.