Proving walls are non structural?

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by Tardigrade, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Tardigrade

Tardigrade New Member

Hello,

Just bought a place - in a block with concrete pillar and floor construction. Internal single brick walls. EA and 2 builders adamant that I can knock all the internal walls down without issue. One builder suggested I can't know that for sure, and when I apply to the landlord/building control (Camden council) I'm sure they'll want evidence despite it being their building.

Worryingly, one builder suggested it might be impossible for an engineer to prove the wall isn't structural/load baring if they couldn't access the flat above mine. I'm not sure what that would prove.

Infuriatingly Camden don't seem able to provide plans for the building. Is it possible to prove the walls are non structural from inspecting my property alone? How much would an engineer charge to do this and any recommendations?

Thanks!

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

If this a leasehold flat or a rental, seem odd that a council own it but you want to knock walls down.

3. Phil the Paver

Ok just noticed you've bought.

4. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

You/they maybe right, maybe wrong...why take the risk!

5. Tardigrade

Tardigrade New Member

I'm a leaseholder, camden landlord edit: "freeholder". Bought off a right-to-buy tenant, most neighbours are council tenants.

I'd rather not pay lots of money generally for something most see as "obvious" but looks like I probably have to. My key issue is I fear doing so only to be then told "I looked but I can't tell either unless you get me access upstairs". Then paying again if I can convince whoever that flat owner is etc...repeat for the 6-8 floors...

6. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Someone should have the info...somewhere. Highly unlikely that several floors rely on your single brick walls.

How are the ceilings constructed? You could break out the ceiling at the top of the wall...that would prob give you your answer

7. Tardigrade

Tardigrade New Member

Ceilings are solid concrete. Wouldn't want to be breaking any of them! Some of the walls have already had sections removed (or perhaps they were never fully there) ie kitchen and lounge have walls with wood/glass partitions in them already. No metal bars over those partitions. Straight to solid ceiling.

I imagine pointing to these facts and saying "duh, isn't it obvious?" won't work for the council though?

8. Phil the Paver

Sounds like it was a cast on site construction, then the wall just built as infill, a bit like our Spanish friends do.

9. Tardigrade

Tardigrade New Member

Built in 1970s if that helps. I'm sure you're right. But as much as I am thankful for your thoughts unless you're an engineer available for Camden work it sadly won't help me enough :)

10. Phil the Paver

You came here asking.

CGN likes this.
  11. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Knock them down and find out :)

Tardigrade likes this.
  12. Tardigrade

Tardigrade New Member

I know sorry really didn't mean to come across as dismissive -genuinely thankful you took your time to respond. I just can't take your assurances - or more accurately, the council won't.

I'm assuming engineers frequent this section of the forum or am I wrong there?

13. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Plenty of people on here with a lot of experience...one problem, we can't see it in the flesh!

14. Phil the Paver

I'm sure they do, but would still need to see it, this would involve charges, so its proberly best you just employ the services of someone local, though being in Camden won't be cheap, but then again you can afford a flat there so must be loaded. :D:D:D:D

CGN likes this.
  15. Tardigrade

Tardigrade New Member

For sure - I'm not averse to paying an engineer for the formal view probably required (/peace of mind) if its a "reasonable" charge and they have confidence from what I've said that the status of the walls can be determined. Guess I'm fishing for that person!

16. Tardigrade

Tardigrade New Member

Hah I wish :) Luckier than many perhaps, but it stretched me to the extremes financially and was a great deal so took a risk :)

edit: If you're wondering why then I'm doing this work, it's cause the place is uninhabitable as is and I need to rent some of the rooms out to lodgers!

17. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Just bung us all £50 and we'll sign it off for you!! :D

Tardigrade likes this.
  18. Phil the Paver

If you got discount and can afford to hang on for the resell years to pass, you'll make a killing, As long as its not going to be knocked down for HS2.

19. Phil the Paver

50, I'll do it for 30, e-mail only though. :D:D:D

CGN likes this.
  20. Tardigrade

Tardigrade New Member

Will I get a nice stamp with some kind of engineer's accreditation that Camden will accept? ;)