ptfe on compression joint - help needed

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by copperjems, Oct 15, 2008.

1. copperjems

copperjems New Member

hi

so i decided to install bath shower mixer taps, i was dreading problems at the far pipe but i didnt get any other then needing to nip out and get a basin wrench from diy store. however, at the near side i got a leak after tightening the bottom metal nut, a slight leak was present. if i 'wiggled' the pipe the leak would get worse and then remain just bad but the nut would not tighten any further. i undid it and re-tried a few times without success.

i have managed to get a water-tight seal by using ptfe tape (blue/white) but im wondering how long will this last? as i have used it at the compression joint and not for its stated purpose of thread sealant

what should i do?

2. Cornish Crofter

Cornish Crofter Active Member

Personally I would use jointing compound for this type of joint. You put it on the interface between the olive and the seat on the fitting.

If you've used PTFE tape correctly, and in the same place you should be OK.

There was a similar discussion here about this a few weeks ago. Some joints seal on the threads, hence PTFE tape is used around the male threads of the joints to give a watertight seal when the fitting is in place.

Your compression joints won't seal on the threads, but on the olives. I know professional time served plumbers who use PTFE tape between the seats and the olives without problems.

3. G Brown

G Brown New Member

PTFE is not needed on compression joints.

The reasons your compression joints is leaking is probably one or more of the following:

1. Pipe cut badly

2. Pipe not pushed fully home

3. Joint overtightened

4.Joint under tightened

5 Imperial pipe.

4. plum_sham

plum_sham New Member

if you got a water tight seal your ok -jus dont touch the pipe leave it

5. kaintheo

kaintheo New Member

if it the tap connector itself you are referring to then this isn't a compression joint. There should be a small rubber seal that prevents any leaks and from what you have described (tightened fully and still leaked) says to me that it's missing.

Undo and check inside nut, it will be obvious if it's there.

6. copperjems

copperjems New Member

thanks guys

my main concern was that it will degrade over time. of course i did give the pipe a quick tug and the seal held so i am hopeful all will be well. i will purchase some of the jointing compoud mentioned just in case

kaintheo: the joint im refering to is what connects the pipe to the tap. ie end of the house pipe

also the waste pipe which goes from the higher drain hole on the bath seemed to come off rather easy from the (bottom) trap end. are these pipes supposed to be like this?

7. tackleburger

tackleburger New Member

like this?

I take it you are talking about the overflow at the bottom. The answer is yes they do come off easily and a bit of boss white or LSX sealing compound will sort ir out. They are carp so do this and then test.

8. doing a bit

doing a bit New Member

if you are struggling cut pipe lower down and use either a flexy or some push fit pipe and fittings, make sure overflow pipe is tight on both ends , put a cable tie round to make sure

9. kaintheo

kaintheo New Member

"kaintheo: the joint im refering to is what connects the pipe to the tap. ie end of the house pipe"

yes that what I said it sounded like, it's the tap connector which isn't a compression fitting, it doesn't have an olive seal, however it seems that the PTFE has done it.

For future reference, substitute PTFE with locktite 55, it's the muts.

10. billybongos

billybongos New Member

If its leaking - you might be doing something wrong!

Be gentle, watch what you're doing, make sure all the mating surfaces are "perfect", and seals are new.

Treat it like a 1000yr old delicate antique! - take all our advice. You could even be nice to it, and talk to your fitting! - "you're not going to give me any trouble now, are you?" ;)

You'll be surprised how well everything turns out

11. copperjems

copperjems New Member

thanks guys

the overflow pipe is sealing ok aswell its just that it had come off during tap renewal. it was dark so i couldnt see properly but im sure the overflow pipe didnt have any special rubber/o-ring for an assured seal and longevity behined the bath facia. will have to look at it tomorrow.

will boss white, lsx or the loctite 55 compounds be able to seal the push on overflow pipe aswell as any future tap connector/compression joint leaks?

12. tackleburger

tackleburger New Member

yup should do and PTFE is fine on a tap connector.

13. plumb paul

plumb paul Member

Always used fibre washer on the tap connector and some ptfe around the thred - never had any problems ;)

14. von trappe

von trappe New Member

Hi with the recent discussion regarding the use of PTFE, took the guys advise here on a compression which was being a b@@@@r, and it it worked. Use on the olive.

15. GKU

GKU New Member

vt - try using Fernox-lsx on compression olive (if its needed)much easier & quicker , it real good stuff ;)

16. kaintheo

kaintheo New Member

yep and fernox water hawk is better than boss white I find too.

17. von trappe

von trappe New Member

Funny you should say that GKU I was with the guy who I have teamed up with and he spoke highly of LSX we did a job brilliant stuff.

Now this is the stuff you dont learn on the cc course, which is why I have managed to team up with a experienced and keen young TS.

And if things continue the way they are, I think we will working flat out. It's cool and I think the partnership will do well 50/50 both happy. :)