Pull in upvc window to seal

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Jason-m, Nov 29, 2015.

1. Jason-m

Jason-m Member

One of my upvc windows upstairs has got a 10ml gap down the hinge side and across part of the bottom and the wind is getting through..is there anyway to pull it in to seal it...? Ive added a pic of the gap and hinge

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Aztec

Aztec New Member

It could possibly be that one or both of the hinges are worn. Is the window stiff to close

3. Jason-m

Jason-m Member

Part of the action is a little bit stiff when opening and closing

4. Aztec

Aztec New Member

It could probably do with a complete overhaul they are pretty easy to do our host sells all the parts.

Hinges you'll have to measure yours to make

sure there the right size.
    http://m.screwfix.com/p/mila-ideal-...-top-hung-262mm-pack-of-2/6237g?filtered=true

Lock mechanism same again measure yours.

Can't find it on screw fix page but here's a link to what else you'll need.

http://www.mbdiy.co.uk/locks-c5/win...OQ0pe64gC5FVeYJE36JNJjoIkK5jXm7jA4aAoVg8P8HAQ

5. Jason-m

Jason-m Member

Thanks
    Is it fairly straight forward then to change the hinge...? do i also need to change the lock or will just the hinge sort it...?
    Also is the measurement of the hinge top and bottom of the baseplate..?

6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Are the hinges screwed into the frame or are they riveted?

you will need side hung hinges, not top hung.

Take the longest measurement of the hinge, they are normally measures in inches"

you will also need to know the 'stack' height. This measurement is quite hard to take and refers to the total height of the hinge when it is fully close, the stack neigh can be 13-15mm.

Also the width of the hinges, the standard size is usually 16/17mm, but narrower ones at 15mm are available.

Jason-m likes this.
  7. rd1

rd1 Member

Hi Jason,
    have you tried lubricating the sliding parts of the hinge so that you are absolutely sure they are travelling the full distance and not sticking. I was amazed at the difference it made to mine with a little bit of WD40. It might just be enough and if this is the problem it would be the cheaper and easier option.

8. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

The Mila ones that were linked earlier are 13mm stack height, but come with small packer to increase it to a 17mm stack height.

Securistlye are a good and popular brand of hinges.

9. Aztec

Aztec New Member

They are pretty simple to do just fiddly as you have to take the window out to do the top and bottom hinge. By action I thought you ment the handle. If that's fine I wouldn't bother changing it. you can measure the hinges while there on just measure the full lenght of the bottom piece that's atached to the frame. Thats the way I measure them and I've done like loads.

10. Aztec

Aztec New Member

I only linked them to give the op an idea of what he was looking for.

11. Jason-m

Jason-m Member

The hinges are screwed in...do i need to remove a hinge to find the stack height want to make sure i get the right ones..?

The wd40 option..other than smoothing the action i can't see how that going to bring the window back into the frame

12. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

The WD40 idea might help temporarily, if the hinge is stiff preventing the back pulling in when closing. Maybe.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

13. Jason-m

Jason-m Member

Ok..i'll give that a try also

14. Mr. Handyandy

Also looks like the green slider on the long arm is broken.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

15. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

The only accurate way of getting the stack height is to remove the hinge, then close it to determine the size.

if there is a makers stamp or code, it may be possible to source the same hinge saving you having to re drill any holes etc.

16. Jason-m

Jason-m Member

Ok..i tried the wd40 and its pulled it in a little bit but not totallty.. there is still a small amount of stiffness when opening and closing so following the advise here i would say the hinge has had it..
    On the hinge there is a makers stamp....it says Cotswold and on one of the brackets it says 07 04 MS i have found the hing here http://www.handlestore.com/h01-10-top-hung-pair-upvc-window-hinges but i'm still not sure of stack height from the info on the hinge..

17. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

If you email this lady with a closer picture of the hinge, she will get back to you soon as I have dealt with this company.

Cotswold Architectural Products Ltd.
    E-mail: luz@cotswoldapltd.co.uk

Measure the hinge length and mention this on the email, it will be possibly a 14" hinge?

Jason-m likes this.
  18. Jason-m

Jason-m Member

Thankyou...

19. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Looks like this hinge, judging by the colour.

07 04, will be the month and year of manufacture.

Jason-m likes this.
  20. Mr. Handyandy

If you can have someone hold the window from outside, you can whip off the bottom hinge, measure height, width and length, and whip it back on, all within 2 minutes.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

Jason-m likes this.